Step by step needed for the broody noobie!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mobilelyn, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Mobilelyn

Mobilelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2014
    I have my first broody (for her & I) who is on day 13 of sitting on a clutch of 7.

She is in an extra large dog crate, in my garage, with cardboard surrounding the sides & woodchips.

My questions are for the hatching:
    1) When they hatch, should I leave them in with Momma, or remove them to another place, as they hatch, to dry?

B) Should I remove the majority of the wood chips & put down something more chick- friendly like puppy pads/shelf paper?

Fourth) What other need to know tips/advice for when they do hatch?

Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Always Thankful Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    1 person likes this.
  3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I move mama and chicks in with the rest of the flock within 24 hours or so of hatch, when the mama leaves the nest to take the chicks to eat. Some people prefer to keep them separate from the flock, but if you do, when the mama stops mothering them, usually around 6 to 8 weeks, you will probably need to keep the chicks separate from the rest of the flock til they are near adult size, or another 3 or 4 months or so.

Here are some links for further reading:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/guide-to-letting-broody-hens-hatch-and-raise-chicks

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/broody-hens

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  4. Mobilelyn

May 17, 2014
    Thanks for the links! I had read some of them but missed another in my readings.

I really do know this stuff, I think I am being a nervous nellie. I was all super cool until last night when we did our candling and saw those little buggers growing! [​IMG]

Thanks again for replies!

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Hahaha! You will love fussing over them, then. I hope you are able to let the chicks grow up in the flock, because they make great chicken TV!

6. Mobilelyn

May 17, 2014
    I am buying a separate Silkie coop :) They will become their own flock. I can't wait: One week left [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by