Step by step pics ???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thechxwhisperer, Dec 30, 2014.

1. thechxwhisperer

thechxwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    Florida
    I am incubating a couple of eggs, and I am wondering if there are step by step pictures of fertilized eggs that have been incubating every day. Hope this makes sense, thanks!

2. thechxwhisperer

Sep 2, 2014
    Florida
    Also, I am wondering if a homemade incubator is ok to use.

3. thechxwhisperer

Sep 2, 2014
    Florida
    please help.

4. thechxwhisperer

Sep 2, 2014
    Florida
    This is my first time incubating[​IMG]

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I think I get what you mean. These are candling pics in this link https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=230

The pics show progression in the egg through incubation you should be able to compare your eggs to them to make sure they are on the right track.

Homemade incubators are fine to use. Many people use their own. It's just the same as if you bought and incubator. You just need to keep the temp steady watch the humidity too make sure the air sac is growing ok.

Good luck with your eggs :fl

6. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  7. thechxwhisperer

Sep 2, 2014
    Florida
    Thank you so much!!! how many degrees should the humidity be?

8. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Humidity is measured in % and the reccomended % for day1-18 is 45% and then at lockdown when you stop turning the eggs at day 18 put the humidity upto at least 65%. Surface area of water creates the humidity and not depth of it. Humidity should be measured as an average over the entire incubation if you think the air sac is not growing large enough then lower the humidity or if you think it's growing too large put the humidity up. Short term variations in humidity shouldn't be a problem it's the average that counts. The eggs need to lose enough moisture so the air sac can grow so the chick is able to pip into it and start to learn to breathe air during the hatching process. If the air sac is too small the chick could drown on internal pipping.

Temp for forced air incubator (fan) 99-99.5 farenheight
    Temp for still air incubator (no fan) 101-102 farenheight measured at the top of the eggs.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  9. thechxwhisperer

Sep 2, 2014
    Florida
    thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by