Step2 playhouse on sale at walmart

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GoAngels, Jul 8, 2010.

1. GoAngels

GoAngels Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2010
    Southern California
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I just converted a playhouse into a coop this past weekend. I got it on CraigsList, and while it's a different model, I did pay more than what is advertised for the posted one.

[​IMG]

I still have more work to do on it, but it's inside the entire run and four 8.5 week old chicks are using it as their segregation/grow out home.

[​IMG]

This coming weekend I'll put up a temporary fence around it so the chicks can interact with the rest of the flock through some protection.

[​IMG]

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

May I suggest if you get a playhouse coop you raise it up on a base. It's much easier to reach into, clean, etc.... than crawling around on your knees.

Hey Gry, that little weiner dog is really interested in the new occupants, lol. Wish I could find one of those Booda boxes on Freecycle. I love them but they are soooo expensive

4. gryeyes

Quote:Yes, that's my Chicken Killing Dachshund, Zorro. He's learned the Big Chickens are out of bounds now, after significant work with him. (Most of which was accomplished by the chickens and especially Carl, the rooster!) But the young birds - especially when they flutter and run - still trigger his prey drive. Got some bantams he's finally learned are not "growing chicks." I'm VERY vigilant with him.

And that Booda box, boy, I was lucky with that! It didn't have the filter or the litter bag mentioned on the label, and it had some dark marks on it where it had been stuffed against something else at the feed store. Got it at a hefty discount. [​IMG]

5. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Wish I could use one of those, but the predators in my area would laugh then eat everyone in five minutes.

6. gryeyes

I'll be screwing hardware cloth over all the openings; right now it's just (horrors!) chicken wire. I'll also secure the plastic shutters with dowel rods when I want those closed. Same thing for the "people door" and the "chicken door" at the lower right front. The coop itself is inside the run.

Granted, big gnarly toothed predators could chew through the double-walled plastic, so this is obviously a light-weight (and I mean that as "wussy") type of coop. The three main coops are where all the grown up birds are housed; this is what I'm using as a youngster "grow out" and integration facility.

7. mrkpero

mrkpero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Just sold one of those in my garage sale for $10. Never thought to use it as a coop. I think it would be way too cold in winter here. Very cute idea, though.

8. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    It looks too drafty, For $119, you could have more space, more height so you don't have to reach around, and better stability [​IMG]

9. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I actually have 3 playhouse coops ---- https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=286294 I'm in the process of actually making renovations on these first 2.

This is the latest---

[​IMG]

I'm going to put the other 2 up on platforms. Thinking actually of combining them like someone else did but adding a bottom area with pallets that will have a vinyl floor for easy clean out. The uppper Playhouse areas will be where the roosts are set up.

We very rarely have snow if we do, it usually doesn't last. This year was unsual. My chickens are out every day

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by