Stephanie in Seattle

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Clearly, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Clearly

Clearly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2015
    Seattle Suburb
    Also often sleepeless, and have been perusing these forums over the last two years; the first preparing to buy chickens, the last regarding the chickens I purchased last spring and are thriving in a Seattle suburb I call home: Everett.

I finally decided to make an account, as next week I will incubate eggs for the first time, and I also have a coop problem, (I've made a post about it in the coop behavior section).

But hello! I have six hens: a buckeye, American Dominique, buff Orpington, and three wyandottes. I'll be adding four more this spring: Araucanas, eggs that go into an incubator next week. (Lots of eggs, to account for the sad casualties).

I've loved every second of chicken keeping, and I am excited to be a more active member in this community.

Outside of loving my girls, I'm a classically trained pianist and teacher, a light designer at local theaters across the area, and writer.

Thanks for having me! :D

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Great to meet you! I hope the hatch goes well and I hope you can fix your coop problem!

Sounds like you have a lovely flock!

I'm a writer too!

3. Hatching Addict

Hatching Addict Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2015
    Texas
    Glad your here!

What kind of Wyndottes do you have?

4. Clearly

Feb 18, 2015
    Seattle Suburb
    Thank you, thank you! :)

@mountain peeps, if reading posts here is anything to go by, I'm sure my first hatching will be riddled with worried posts and panics, so prepare for an influx of newbie "omg the candling of this one is smaller than this one" and "is this a crack? Oh no I think this is a crack!!!!!" posts over the next month. Tee hee!

@hatching addict, I have a gold lace, silver lace and a blue. My gold is a bully, sadly, and my blue is at the bottom of the pecking order. My silver is a very indifferent bird when it comes to treats, I think she may be a bit of a snob. The wyandottes are beautiful, but so very different from the others, and different from each other. They definitely have personality!

5. Hatching Addict

Hatching Addict Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2015
    Texas
    I have a few young silver laced...you're right about them being different from the rest. I've also ordered some blues. They should be in tomorrow or Friday. Can't wait!
    Good luck on your hatching...it is great fun. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Stephanie, nice to meet you. I'm learning things too, never knew there were blue wyandottes. Would sure like to see photos of them. Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock.

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Stephanie. Glad you decided to our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your hatch.

8. Clearly

Feb 18, 2015
    Seattle Suburb
    thank you again!

@drumstick diva, my blue wyandotte looks a little like a hobo, since she is at the bottom of the pecking order and has only a few tail feathers. :( It's hard to see it, because she is the sweetest little girl, second to my dominique (totally a lap bird). She always bows down to me and sticks her wings back, letting me pet her, and she's ever curious about everything in a way the others aren't; though also skittish due to the bully of the pack, my gold wyandotte, whom as far as I can tell is the only one who picks on her (due to observation when giving them treats). I've also never seen a fluffier butt! :D

But I'll take some pics of her tomorrow and post them here!

9. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi Stephanie, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sounds like you are really enjoying your flock. Good luck with the hatch.

Nice to have you join us!

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with the hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by