Stephens City/Winchester, Virginia

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by the4tazarm, Nov 9, 2016.

1. the4tazarm

the4tazarm New Egg

Sep 29, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    My parents are considering starting a small flock, I'm not sure about the laws there though. Any help is appreciated!

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I live in Stafford/Fredericksburg VA so I'm not very sure on the laws down where you are. Here are a few things I looked up though :)
    http://www.nvdaily.com/bridges/2015/06/towns-counties-regulate-backyard-chickens/
    https://www.winchesterva.gov/sites/default/files/documents/government/city_code/CH05.pdf

SECTION 5-14. KEEPING LIVESTOCK AND FOWL WITHIN THE CITY LIMITS.
    (a) For the purposes of this section:
    (1) The term "livestock" refers to all breeds of cattle, goats, horses, llamas, sheep, and swine, including miniatures of each.
    (2) The term "fowl" refers to all breeds of chickens, ducks, geese, guineafowl, peafowl, swans, and turkeys.

(b) It shall be unlawful for any person to raise or keep livestock or fowl within the City with the exception of the following:
    (1) The property on which the livestock or fowl is kept is at least two acres in size, and
    (2) The livestock or fowl are securely fences or are otherwise prevented from escape.

(c) On properties of two or more acres, one animal unit is allowed for each acre in the property which is set aside for animal use.
    (1) An animal unit consists of:
    (a) one (1) bull, cow, llama, or steer; or (b) three (3) horses; or (c) six (6) goats, sheep, or swine or any combination thereof; or (d) twelve
    (12) chickens, ducks, geese, guineafowl, peafowl, or swans or any combination thereof.
    (2) For horses, goats, sheep, swine, chickens, ducks, geese, guineafowl, peafowl or swans the number of animals shall be rounded to the next higher whole unit.

(3) For the purposes of subsection (c), an animal shall not be counted until it reaches the age of eight months. (d) Animals' owners shall be subject to the City sound restrictions (Chapter 17 of this Code) with regard to noises. (Ord. No. 026-93, 9-14-93) Note: This section was designated as Section 5-15 by Ord. No. 026-93, but has been

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by