Stepped on and killed baby chick - Feel horrible.

LikeTurkeys

Crowing
5 Years
Jul 25, 2018
Southern California
Today I stepped on one of my week old chicks and killed it. :hit :hit :hit I had taken them out of the brooder and put them outside in the sun so that they could graze on the grass and see the other chicks. Well, I thought they were all in front of me but apparently one was behind, and I took a step back and stepped on him. Oh my gosh, I feel so bad. We put him down right away. :hit:hit I can't stop crying... I will never ever take them out this young again.​

I am so sorry that happened. I know you feel horrible, but don't beat yourself up. It's something that could happen to anyone.
I'm so sorry!
They are tiny, and so vulnerable to accidents, and it was totally unintentional on your part. I've had bad things happen to the babies a few times, and really regret each episode, and have never made the same mistakes twice.
Enjoy the cute chicks that you still have.
All the best,
Mary
Thank you, but I keep feeling like it's my fault because I took them outside so early... I won't anymore. Also I should have been more careful and looking behind me.

I don't think you took them out too early. My hens have their babies out at day two. The chicks I've brooded myself have been raised in the coop and were allowed on grass their 1st week.
Try a small temporary fenced area for them. Tall enough to keep them in but low enough so that you can reach in and collect them if you need too.
We learn from experience. So really, shed your tears but stop hating on yourself. It truly could happen to any one of us.

I don't think you took them out too early. My hens have their babies out at day two. The chicks I've brooded myself have been raised in the coop and were allowed on grass their 1st week.
Try a small temporary fenced area for them. Tall enough to keep them in but low enough so that you can reach in and collect them if you need too.
We learn from experience. So really, shed your tears but stop hating on yourself. It truly could happen to any one of us.
Okay. Thank you. I'll do what you say, it's a good idea.

Getting your babies out in the sunshine and fresh air is a good thing, something a loving and caring person does. This was an accident. It did not happen because you took them out too soon. :hugs
Okay. Thanks. I thought it was because they were too small. I'm ALWAYS going to be looking behind me now, even if the chicks aren't out.

Okay. Thanks. I thought it was because they were too small. I'm ALWAYS going to be looking behind me now, even if the chicks aren't out.

Hon, my chickens always mob me in the afternoons when I toss them their scratch, open the gates to let them free-range, and gather eggs. One day last week I thought, "one of these days I'm going to step on somebody or trip over them," and the next day, I did! It was FluffyButt, whose down sticks up above her feathers in many places, making her look like she lost a pillow fight. I pulled my foot up as soon as I felt her and she squawked, but I thought I'd broken her leg, the big dummy! She was fine, it turned out, but she nearly gave me a heart attack. You may as well get used to it. It takes nerves of steel to raise chickens!

Back
Top Bottom