Stepped on by horse

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NoisyCricket, Sep 22, 2011.

1. NoisyCricket

NoisyCricket Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    I have a pullet (20 weeks) whose foot was stepped on by one of the horses, almost a week ago. It initially looked like road rash on her knuckle, and she was a little bit lame. It has been inflamed since it happened. There was what looked like bruising on it. The bruising has pretty much gone away, but when I looked at it this evening, the "road rash" spot looked raw. I know it is hurting her as she is lame on it and she holds it up when she is not walking on it. I tried to squeeze it to see if there was any puss in there, and she swore at me in 4 languages. Does anyone have any advice on how to treat this? I wrapped it up with antibiotic ointment after cleaning it off.

On the 18th
    [​IMG]

Today
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. heatherkh

heatherkh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    It might be getting infected. Can you wash it with betadine and treat it with neosporin or some blu-kote.

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Add pain reliever. Crush a baby aspirin (81 mg) in one cup of water, fresh batch twice daily. If she is not eating or drinking well, it is likely because of pain. To coax her to begin drinking the aspirin water try cutting up little bits of favorite fruits (e.g. grapes, blueberries) and dunk them in the aspirin water and hand feed to her or give to her in whatever way she finds most comfortable. Hopefully this will take the edge off the pain and she'll want to drink and eat.
    Try to keep her comfortable such that she doesn;t have to jump up onto or down off of anything for the time being.
    JJ

4. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I totally agree. If the wound is raw and seepy, blood stop powder might help, but do not use it if you think it might be infected (if the area around the wound feels hot). And if you aren't already, I'd put her in isolation to monitor her condition. Just a thought.

5. NoisyCricket

Jun 3, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. I put her in a large dog crate in the coop earlier tonight, although she is not at all happy about it.

I will get her the baby aspirin tomorrow. Thanks for that, I wasn't sure what they could have for pain meds.

I will use the betadine when I clean it tomorrow, before I reapply the ointment. I think I will stay away from the blood stop for now, and try to keep it wrapped. I am pretty sure she is eating and drinking ok. I know she is eating treats well, and she doesn't seem to have lost weight.

thanks you all!

6. greenkjb

greenkjb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Sorry about your girl. Since it might be infected I would soak it in diluted betadine and water for as long as she will tolerate it and then dry ot well before applying the neosporin and a bandage. Hope it heals soon!

7. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Quote:Sorry - wish I had been able to circle back and see this last night. You can also just quarter a regular aspirin (325 mg) and use that....
    As to betadine, an avian vet long ago told me to mix 9 parts water to 1 part betadine, i.e., not to use it straight....
    JJ

8. NoisyCricket

Jun 3, 2011
    That is ok JJ, it wouldn't have helped anyways - no aspirin in the house atm (well, there is but it is expired). I got baby aspirin this am, so it is in her water now.

The toe looks better today. I think the compression from the wrap helped. Only the knuckle is swollen now. She did get the wrap off last night, but I was expecting that, as it was a poor wrap job. I washed with mild soap, used some diluted betadine, then re-wrapped with antibiotic ointment. I put her in a clean box stall for the day, so she can move around a bit more, then will put her back in the dog crate in the coop tonight, as the stall is not totally predator proof.

thanks again, I will keep you updated on her progress!

9. heatherkh

heatherkh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    I bet she comes through this just fine! Sounds like you're doing all the right things for her.

10. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Good job and I'm sure your girl knows you are trying to help her [​IMG]
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by