1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Stepped on my chick's foot!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickyboomboom, Jun 23, 2011.

1. chickyboomboom

chickyboomboom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    I was squatting down holding another chicken and I pivoted, and my favorite chicky screamed! She must have had her foot under my boot and I didn't realize it. She's 4 weeks old. I feel so bad! She can limp on it, and there was a little blood, but it wasn't bleeding. The toe looks okay, doesn't seem broken. I took her in and washed it off, put peroxide on it and neosporin and a nice hello kitty bandaid around the toe. I am a little worried about the other girls picking on the bandaid but so far, they seem to be leaving it alone.

It's been about 2 hours and I just went to go check on her. She was standing pelican style on the good leg. She will walk on it, limping around. Gimpy but seems okay. The bandaid was still on and the other girls are not picking at it.

Should I do anything else? Does she need to be isolated?

What do you think?

2. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    Sounds like you did a good job and you shouldn't worry at all if its not broken. I wouldn't seperate it unless other chicks start bothering her. But they probably won't. Depending on how bad the cut is the band aid probably won't need to be on very long

3. chickyboomboom

Jun 14, 2011
    Quote:Thanks so much! Guess I will check on her in the am and replace the bandaid if needed. Just wanted to make sure... peroxide and neosporin are okay for them right?

4. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Same thing happened to me not long ago. My EE is ALWAYS underfoot! As close to me as she can get. Stepped on her by mistake. No blood, everything seemed fine then and now.

5. chickyboomboom

Jun 14, 2011
    Quote:How funny! Mine is an EE too! Guess they are too friendly for their own good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by