Steps for freezing?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by PatS, Sep 13, 2010.

1. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    What are the steps for freezing a bird?

After killing and cleaning, do they sit in the fridge for a couple of days before freezing or do they go straight to the freezer? Is just a Ziplock freezer bag sufficient, or are they wrapped in another way? How long can they remain in the freezer before there is a loss of quality? You can tell this is our first time...

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I don't have enough frig room to let big batches rest, so I freeze mine right after butcher and then let rest one at a time as I take them out to use. Meat is great, tender and flavorful. We use the foodsaver freezer thing.

3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

We age ours in the fridge for 3 or 4 days depending on the size of the bird. We got a big tupperware container with a lid so they don't dry out. Used to use freezer paper and then a ziplock bag but the meat would still get freezer burn. Now we use a vacume sealer, works like a charm.

Steve

4. PatS

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Thanks! I have a vacuum sealer that I got as a gift recently. Looks like this is a good opportunity to learn to use it!

Thank you for the advice. [​IMG]

5. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    you'll never stop once you start!

6. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

You can freeze them the same day, but they should rest in ice water (I salt my water too,) for at least a few hours to let the muscles relax and help break down the meat a little. I rest mine for 24 hours in ice water, then package, followed by 24 hours in the fridge. Ziplock bags are horrible for packaging, and will quickly lead to freezer burn, although if you're only doing a few, or it's your first time, you might want to stick with them at first. After you decide if you want to raise more birds, you can get something to shrink bag them, like a vacuum sealer or heat shrink bags.

7. PatS

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Thanks, Everyone. We broke out our never-used food saver today and while one bird was cookin' we vacuum bagged the second. The one we vacuum-bagged is in the freezer now.
    The food-saver bags are only about 11 or 12 inches wide. Plenty big enough for our Buff Orps, but I have a feeling any of the turkeys we butcher won't fit in the bag...

We planned to bid a fond adieu to a 20 week-old Bourbon Red male this week. Guess we'll just have to cook him up after a few days in the fridge... Or is there some super-wide food saver that we need to put on a wish list?

8. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Not Food Saver, but Cornerstone Farms sells heat shrink bags that will hold even the largest turkeys. Just dunk the wrapped bird in hot water and it's just like store birds.

9. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    great info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by