Steps or platforms instead of ramp, pictures please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LaurelRidgeDreams, Jul 18, 2011.

1. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Songster

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    If you have pictures of steps or platforms used instead of a ramp, please share. Working on ramps this week for inside and outside of coops. Thanks!

2. ll

ll Songster

My camera was broken during a fishing trip this weekend [​IMG]

I am in the process of placing large flat stones to use as steps. I'm not sure how this will work out.

Good luck with yours.

3. suzyQlou

suzyQlou Songster

Mar 12, 2011
    Dillsburg, PA
    My Coop
    Mine's not quite finished yet, but I use a little platform. It's just a 1x4 board that sits 2 feet up, on the end of my run. The hens hop up to the board, then duck on in through the chicken door to the coop. I move my coop and run separately every day. Depending on the hilliness of the day's location, the coop might be a little higher or lower than the run. Some days the hens just walk on in through the door, some days they need to duck a little bit more. The platform helps to smooth the transition.

[​IMG]

(btw, in this photo, I was still using a plastic tub for shelter in the run. The chicks started out using it as the first step into the coop. Once they got used to the coop, I removed the tub. The hens have no problem hopping up the 2 feet that they need to hop to reach the coop.)

4. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Songster

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Thanks for the idea, very interesting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by