Steps or Ramp for Cornish X's

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hooligan, Feb 23, 2008.

1. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Well the Cornish X rescues are getting quite large now and when it gets colder I noticed that some of the big boys are having trouble getting in/out of the coop.
    We used to have a ramp going in but it was too narrow for them so my bf staggered flat rocks to help them out a bit.
    I want to do something a bit nicer though and was wondering about getting 8ft long lumber and having one board 1.5" and the other 6" and having them cut in 18" intervals so it would make 5 steps total, 10" in height.
    That way each step is no higher than 2". Do you think this would help the boys out a bit?

2. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    A gradual ramp or the steps would probably benefit them, but their weight makes them rather clumsy, so it needs to be broad, too.

Not to upset you or anything, but has anyone told you about the problems with keeping Cornish x? They're not meant to be kept around for very long, because their size contributes to problems with their feet, legs and heart. I had a dozen given to me, and after what we ate and predators got to, I had one hen left that I was slow to get around to dressing. She ended up with major problems with bumble foot and ended up having a heart attack. She was only 7 months old. She probably weighed well over 12 lbs. when she died.

3. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Oh yes, I know of all the problems they have due to being bred to grow fast. We have already had gangrene dermatitis, footpad dermatitis, URIs and they will soon be put on Carprofen everyday to improve mobility. The first 5 are about 4 months and the hen about 3 months. They are on o lower protein food with BOSS and scratch for treats and then I cook for everyone if it gets really cold here.
    I know the time will come when their pain is too great and they need to be euthanized but I want them to live a happy healthy life until then.

ETA: The steps will be 18" wide and either 5 or 6" deep with each step being no higher than 2".

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by