Sterile baby geese??

HollyORiley

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 16, 2014
Georgia
Is it true when a Canada goose and a Toulouse goose breed the babies will be sterile?

I have a female Canada goose and I was wanting to get a male Toulouse or American Buff, but I have heard that the babies can be sterile.

They will for sure be sterile. A Domestic crossed with a Wild will have infertile goslings. Works the same with ducks also domestic ducks crossed with a mallard are sterile also.

This is not true at all. Except for muscovies, all domestic ducks can breed and produce viable (fertile) offspring with wild mallards. They are the same species. (Mallard derivatives)
If Canada geese come from the greylag goose, then it can interbreed with toulouse, embden, etc. The only exception to this would possibly be the Chinese and African geese since they probably came from a different species than the greylag. However, I believe I've seen crosses of african/Chinese with toulouse or embden having offspring with other geese. I'm not as well versed with geese as ducks, so I can't say for certain which breeds can produce viable offspring with each other.

Last edited:
A canada goose CAN breed with any domestic goose and produce goslings but those goslings will be sterile infertile hybrids. The crossbred goslings will mate and lay eggs but nothing will come of it.

Chinese can breed with graylag breeds and produce goslings which are fertile hybrids, which is what i raise, chinese x tufted romans

Back
Top Bottom