Sterile rooster

Ted n Ms

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 7, 2011
Mississippi
Anyone ever had a sterile rooster. I have started two batches of eggs in a bator with a Incu Therm plus for reference. The fist batch stayed in for 11 days. I candled them and nothing, So i took them out and broke them one by one in a bowl. Not a one had anything but a enlarged yolk. I started a new batch with 24 . After 12 days i candled them last night. I can't see anything. I think my rooster is shooting blanks. He about three years old.

Last edited:
What breed are they? Some fluffier breeds need to be trimmed around the vent on both roo and hens to make contact.

And, another obvious question but, did you calibrate all of your instruments before you set the eggs?

Its possible that his age is making him less inclined to mate, but I've had roos much older still provide me with fertile eggs (ornamental and dual purpose breeds).

My hens are production reds, the rooster is roadisland red.
Both the thermometer that came with farm innovations and the incu therm that came from incubators warehouse agree.

What do they eat? Any sign of illness? Just trying to cover all the bases. It is possible that the rooster could be sterile, but he's really not that old. Have you ever hatched eggs from these birds before?

What do they eat? Any sign of illness? Just trying to cover all the bases. It is possible that the rooster could be sterile, but he's really not that old. Have you ever hatched eggs from these birds before?

I feed them layer pellets and scrapes and they free range about three hours in the afternoon. All seem to be healthy. This is my first time to try hatching.

Last edited:
Agreed. Most layer pellets are around 16% protein, and you're cutting that with scraps. You might step up to an all flock/grower type feed to see if that helps. Mine are on a starter/grower thats 20% protein (with oyster shell on the side for calcium) and they occasionally get some scraps and a little bit of scratch as a treat. Layer really isn't that great for roosters, they don't lay eggs, so they don't require the calcium it contains. All that being said, some people feed layer for a roosters entire life (or worse, feed nothing but scratch) and still manage to hatch eggs.

It might be time to consider another roo :/

Agreed. Most layer pellets are around 16% protein, and you're cutting that with scraps. You might step up to an all flock/grower type feed to see if that helps. Mine are on a starter/grower thats 20% protein (with oyster shell on the side for calcium) and they occasionally get some scraps and a little bit of scratch as a treat. Layer really isn't that great for roosters, they don't lay eggs, so they don't require the calcium it contains. All that being said, some people feed layer for a roosters entire life (or worse, feed nothing but scratch) and still manage to hatch eggs.

It might be time to consider another roo
hmm.png
I am feeding mine 22% protein( free choice) plus oyster shell.

Back
Top Bottom