Steubenville OH bans "farm animals" - yep, chickens

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by amamaofmany, Apr 15, 2009.

1. amamaofmany

amamaofmany Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    west virginia
    http://www.wtov9.com/news/19186486/detail.html [​IMG]

I live in WV, but just over the state line and came across this headline today while looking up something else.

I don't know if there are many chicken owners in the Steubenville city limits, but 'farm animals' including chickens are to be off your nonwooded property of less than 3 acres in 30 days according to this article.

You might want to go have a chat with your Mayor & City Council (good luck - I've heard them in action on the radio OY!)

I dread things like this because it gives my own City Council ideas I'd rather they not have! [​IMG]

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Isnt' there some kind of "grandfather" clause in situations like this - where if you already have them you can keep them, just not get more - or something like that?

3. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    That is truly asinine. What costitutes "wooded"?

4. amamaofmany

amamaofmany Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    west virginia
    Quote:Apparently, Steubenville's city council isn't going to give anyone that chance, and flock owners in the city limits need to know so they can personally address it with their council and Mayor.

Its stupid to 'crack down' on owners of chickens and 'livestock'. It isn't like Steubenville doesn't have a huge drug-ring and crime problem.

You'd think that would be a bigger issue than a neighbor with a few chickens. 'Cept you'd think wrong.

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Wow, I wonder why the change of heart when most people are trying to HAVE chickens in their backyards? Of course, that should infuriate you, I know it would me. Best of luck to you. Hope you get to keep your chickens. They really don't bother anyone. Go figure....... [​IMG] to them! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by