STEVE!!! BABY TURKEY with severely curled toes HELP again??

sonew123

Poultry Snuggie
11 Years
Mar 16, 2009
onchiota NY
Ok I have owned turkeys before so Im no stranger to their care but I had never hatched turkeys before. I bought all mine 30+ days old. This turkey hatched this am-partially. When I came home it was completely stuck with its whole waist area down to its curled toes in bottom of egg. I peeled it off and her poor toes are FIXED in a clenched position. I used a bandaid and taped her toes apart and straight. I dont know if I did the right thing or not but I had to try something-it was crawling around on her knuckles:( ouch! She is still in bator for tonight for her safety and will pull her tomorrow to go in broooder with the 1 other normal healthy --any help would be appretiated or experiences please?? thank you!~

Last edited:
You did it right. Had to do the same thing on a poult last year and it worked. It's the same with chicks or poults, but poults seem to have a little more drama involved at times. They don't bounce back as quick as chicks, at least in my experience which I will admit is somewhat limited. Just keep an eye on her and make sure she is drinking and eating. I'm guessing she should be fine in a day or so. BTW- congrats on the hatch. How many do you have in the incubator?, just the two? Right now in the incubator I have 9 due on the 27th and 12 more the 6th. Staggered hatch. Have 18 chicken eggs in there as well due on the 27th. Keep us informed on how the poult is doing.

Thanks-these were the only two that survived my staggered hatch started with 9---locked down with 5. I opened the 3 and they either died just near the end or could turn around to pip:( so I have two..for a friend...I looked in bator this am and she has her legs stretched out trying to grip things and its not working:( I dont know if I should take the band aids off now to see if having her toes stretched for 12 hours did the trick or leave her until I get home. I'll pull them both out of bator in a seperate brooder. I have 6 day old chicks in other brooder. They are like chicks though right? In that they can survive just fine in bator drying for up to 48 hours? They have been hatched for bout 24 hours now...do they need food and water now or are they fine like chicks would be?? dad was a BBBB and mom was a narsargent ( sp) you know what Im talking about haha I was only helping a friend so I really didnt ask or get spelling of breeds-LOL

Quote:
thanks
hugs.gif
I just want to give this girl a chance--she struggled so hard to hatch to have that happen-Ill be putting her on hand towels in the brooder to be able to grip easier
fl.gif

Quote:
I hope so steve ill post photos tonight n see what u guys think she tries so hard to try n walk n grip but cant

Quote:
yup thats exactly what I did with bandaid ends-looks like she's a duck now:) I hope with some human PT for her she can get her leg strength going and toes going ok---I dont want the other healthy one to be alone:(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom