Stewy the Roo must go

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DanceswLabs, Aug 2, 2010.

1. DanceswLabs

DanceswLabs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    Stewy, our approximately 20-month old white Leghorn rooster, has got to go. He has started flogging his humans, and I don't want to deal with an attack rooster. However, these are my first chickens, and I am not sure of the best way to proceed. What does one do to get rid of a roo? Should I list him on Craig's List or what? (I don't care if someone takes him to eat him, because I am not sure I can think of any other reason to take in a flogging roo.)

Jeany

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Not to be offensive, but is there a reason you couldn't eat him yourself?

3. CCFarms9559

CCFarms9559 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Jeffersontown, Ky
    I am raising my first flock and having a rooster issue too. I vote for Craigs List. We raise our own beef and pork - but I'm just not up to culling him myself...

4. DanceswLabs

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    I wish I had the nerve to butcher my own chickens, but I don't. And to show you how far I have come, if you had told me before I got chickens and joined this forum that I would wish that, I wouldn't have believed it. Maybe I will continue to evolve and start raising meaties next year. However, I am not there yet. [​IMG]

5. DanceswLabs

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    I should also add that he is flogging with just his wings so far; although, my 10-year-old did have a sliglht scratch. Am I right in assuming he isn't going to stop at that and that he is working up to using his beak, claws and spurs?

6. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    Craigslist. Local 4-H poultry group. Your state's SPCA. No guarantee that the craigslist people won't eat him, thought. [​IMG]

7. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    You really don't want to eat a mature rooster. The meat is not so good.

You can offer him for free to someone - or you can rehabilitate him by making sure he knows who is boss. Grab him up by his feet & let him fuss & cuss for a while. He will eventually submit to you. Do that daily for a week & he will never think of attacking you again.

If you have kids or others that live there they should hold him upside down too.

8. DanceswLabs

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    Hmm....I can try the upside down thing if I can catch him.

9. sprawli

sprawli Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    Time to stew Stew? [​IMG] Sorry! Couldn't resist!

10. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    If you are going to re-home him you MUST inform the recipient about his behavior issues. It's not fair, not right, and dangerous to withhold that information. I think he may be even more likely to be aggressive in a new home, it's often fear & wariness that makes a rooster feel defensive.

I really think the best solution for an aggressive rooster is to have him for dinner. You can eat chickens of any age, as long as you use the correct method of cooking. Older birds can still be flavorful and tender if you cook them slowly with plenty of moisture. Stewie would make a great chicken stew.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by