1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Stick chicken, slept all day, feels hot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lambie333, Jul 28, 2014.

1. lambie333

lambie333 In the Brooder

Jan 18, 2013
    I have a hen that I recently got with 9 others. She is a Maran and never got off her perch this am. She let me pick her up, and just kind of kept sleeping. I fed her a tiny bit of scrambled yolk and some water with acv in it. She wasn't interested in either but managed to get a little in her beak. She feels hot in her vent area and under her wings, and has a little black ooze around her beak. Her crop seemed empty, but she did seem like she had an egg ready to come out. No egg ever came and her vent seems softer now. I moved her into a cat carrier and she is still just sleeping, sleeping, sleeping...
    Please advise!

2. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Do you think she's egg bound?

3. lambie333

lambie333 In the Brooder

Jan 18, 2013
    Ok, she totally had mites crawling around her vent. I didn't see them before, but now with bright flashlight I do. Now what?

4. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    OK. So do you have poultry dust?

5. lambie333

lambie333 In the Brooder

Jan 18, 2013
    No. I have diatomaceous earth that I use in the coop, and I just dusted her bum with it, as everything is closed at this hour. And do I understand correctly that if I can see them they are not mites? Lice perhaps?

6. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I use the same stuff for both lice and mites.
    I'd get some garden and poultry dust asap. I get it from Runnings.

7. lambie333

lambie333 In the Brooder

Jan 18, 2013
    I dusted her last night with permethrin. She is in a separate cage, not looking at all well.

How do I go about dusting the rest? Specifically, do I clean out all the bedding first, and then dust coop? And what do I do with the old lice and mite infested litter? I don't really want to dump on my land and let them find their way back...is bagging it all and taking to dump my only option?

Stuffs sounds quite toxic...my chickens share coop with two baby goats. Is this really safe?

Any advise greatly appreciated?!?

8. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    The dust is fine for goats! I checked. lol I'd just dust the rest the same way you dusted her and with the coop you'll need to take out all the litter,put the dust in every crack you can find, and wash nesting bowls and perches and then dust those.

9. lambie333

lambie333 In the Brooder

Jan 18, 2013
    Thank you, but do you leave the powder in with new bedding, or try to wash it out first?

Sorry, but the package has no instruction, except not to put it near food, water, etc, breathe it, etc..,

10. lambie333

lambie333 In the Brooder

Jan 18, 2013
    Oh, and one of hens eyes seems to now be swollen shut. I've managed to get some food and water into her beak, but is there anything else I can do for her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: