Sticking chicks under broody.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Featherland, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    I have a silkie that has been broody for about a week sitting on fake egg. How soon would I be able to stick chicks under her that she would accept? The thing is someone has chicks hatching this weekend that I would like. Please tell me of your experiences doing this. Thanks.

2. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    I haven't ever tried this but here is a thread that might help: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=136282

Be
    sure to introduce the chicks to the broody at night, when she is less active and less likely to exert much effort in rejecting them. Also watch them carefully, as if she rejects them she might peck them or kick them out into the cold to die. Be ready with a backup brooder to raise them yourself if this happens.

3. Featherland

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    Thanks for your response. Has anyone personally stuck chicks under a 1week broody and been successful? I already have my brooders full with 5 week olds and really want the silkies to raise them.

4. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Hey Featherland, I know this is waaaayyyy off topic, but what kind of chicken is that in your avatar? I have one exactly like it and I don't know what she is.

5. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Hey Featherland - if no one answers you, you might try PMing the people in that other post to see how their experience putting chicks under a broody turned out.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    May work, may not. I personally wouldn't put chicks under a hen who has just started setting--better to raise them yourself.

And I don't put them out at night--I've never had a hen accept them that way and finding them cold and dead the next morning is absolutely not fun. Better to give them to a hen when she is mothering her already hatched chicks--feeding them or nestling them under her. If she is going to take to the chick, she will take it then; and usually does. Once she's accepted responsibility and the job of mothering, I don't have to worry that she will reject it.

7. Featherland

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    Hi Farm Frenzy!
    The chicken in my avatar is a Welsummer. Sorry it isn't the best picture. My daughter helped me post it and it was all I had available at the time. What color eggs does yours lay. Welsummers lay very dark brown eggs. Brown Leghorns look similar but lay white eggs.

8. Featherland

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    cityclucks- That is a good idea, I may do that.

9. Featherland

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    Sornoran Silkies

I am wary of doing it that's why I am trying to find out if anyone has been successful. I definitely would do it during the day. I once tried following others advice and move a broody and her eggs out of the main coop at night but she became confused and left the nest. Thankfully I went out 1/2 hour later and found her like that so I moved her back and waited till morning. It was very easy to move her then and she had a successful 100% hatch.

I have another question for you. One of my silkies was broody and I didn't let her keep any eggs. This was in Dec. and I didn't want any chicks then. She still set for 3 weeks and hasn't laid since. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to encourage her to lay again?

10. cjexotic

cjexotic Cj's Mandarin Ducks

Mar 11, 2008
    Central PA
    I have done it twice and going to be doing it soon as monday or tuesday.
    I have an exceptional hen when it comes to this. I bought out a breeder on silkie blue babies. About 30 of them. they were anywhere from 2 days to 3 weeks. I took the younger ones and put them with one hen and the best hen I have for being a mother she got the rest.
    I have learned to do it at night and to be sure the pet her and rub my hands all over her.. then make sure each chick is handles so they smell like her. I have yet to have her kick out a chick no matter what age.

Last year she raised about 8 clutchs of duck and silkie babies.
    And she even lays eggs also. she has just raised the blues to be about 2 months old now. So I have separated the babies this morning.. leaving another hen in the pen with them that is a great protector and put my good hen into a dog kennel with 3 babies that where smaller than the rest. That way she is still mothering. When the eggs in the bator hatch (this weekend) they will spend 24-48 hours in the bator then she will get them. She is worth her weight in gold. I have her triple banded so as not to sell her by accident. Would be a great loss if I did.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by