1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sticking flea infestation!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by math23, Mar 11, 2017.

1. math23

math23 New Egg

Feb 21, 2017
    Help! Moved to Florida with our chickens three years ago.We have 35, a mix of Bantams and full sized. Everything was great until we found little black bugs on a few. Used DE. Used poultry protector spray. Got worse. Used Qtips to apply to faces, combs. Sprayed under wings, vents. Cleaned coops, removed surface sand in coops and pen. DE and poultry dust. Tried scraping them off birds with no luck. Way too many of them to pluck. They get on us and showers don't even get them off!!! Lost two older bantams.desperate now. Saw old posts suggesting frontline on birds, any recent results with this? If use drops in birds, what about coop? Sevin dust?? We love our birds, we've had some of them over ten years and feel terrible watching them suffer like this.you can even email me at Yahoo if that's allowed. Thanks so much!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, math23, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! I've never had the issue you are describing so I can't give you any first hand advice. But here's a link to some threads where it has been discussed on BYC - wasn't sure if you had explored them or not. Hope they yield some useful information: https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=stick+fleas
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

3. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    I use seaven dust full strength on dogs, chickens, cats, it says not to put it on them but I've been doing it for 30 years . The new stuff isn't as strong as was years ago.

1 person likes this.
  4. math23

math23 New Egg

Feb 21, 2017
    Thanks eggbert! Old usually is better! Had an older farmer tell me to put bacon grease in my horse's bare spots to grow hair and it worked where nothing else did! What do I do on faces, or will it get in their systems and kill them off as well?

5. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    It will kill them.

6. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! I agree with @eggbert420 , I would use sevin dust. I hope you enjoy BYC, best wishes!

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to Backyard chickens! I am so glad that you joined us, and I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you use Sevin, I would imagine there is some period of time you shouldn't eat their eggs. [​IMG]

9. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You might try checking in on the FL state thread to see if anyone there can give you some advice for dealing with the infestation. There is a link to the state threads at the bottom of my post.

Good luck!

10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under math23 [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some great advice and links to some good starting points, I will just wish you and your flock all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by