Sticktight Fleas and Treatment

Elector PSP...not toxic to you or chickens...I dipped mine and within a few days they were all clean.
Sprayed shady areas, coop and dust bowls.

Hello all,

I was checking over my bantams yesterday and found these tiny brown bugs attached to the skin around their combs and in the folds of their waddles. I used a pair of tweezers to pick and pull off what I found. They're stubborn and stay attached to the skin, I had to tug them off. Not a ton like in the pic below, but this is what they look like.

backyardchic.jpg

At first I thought these were mites, so I have a list of supplies and part of a treatment plan written out... But, upon further research these are called "Sticktight Fleas". I'm going to update my list of supplies and treatment as I go. When it's finished I'll reply in this thread and I'd like to hear any and everyone's insight. This is my first time dealing with parasites in my chickens, so I'm understandably wracked with stress and anxiety! I also have 3 Lavender Orpingtons in a separate run and coop beside the bantams (they don't get along.) I assume I will be needing to treat them as well. So 6 chickens in total!

Thank you and I will be keeping an eye on this thread.
I feel your pain - I’ve been dealing with a mod infestation on my rooster- I treated him in August and noticed last week he had them again. ..thoroughly disgusted with these things - they have really caused the rooster (and me) a great deal of misery. I do the 10% Martin permethrin reconstituted as the article recommended below states. I apply with tips to the areas around cheek, near eye, on crest, under wattles, the crevice on back on crest, and retreated again in a few days because he still had some (and some caused him to bleed when I took them off). Then I applied triple antibiotic. Then I cleared the coop where he sleeps and took off and burned all bedding and sprayed Permethrin. Now 4 days later he is looking real good and happier. I will continue treatment of coop area every week for the next few weeks and monitor my other chickens (he sleeps in separate coop). I will not let my guard down-these things are nasty. I will (after reading others replies here) spray their dust bath area - this forum has been so supportive. Good luck with your stick tight flea battle!

Back
Top Bottom