Sticky chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by motherhen2389, May 1, 2017.

1. motherhen2389

motherhen2389 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2016
    How do I bath a sticky chick? I assisted if come out since it was glued in its shell and now that it's dry it can't move its wings they are like cemented straight, can I put it under running water? Obviously taking care to keep the beak free

2. Erka97

Erka97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2017
    I've seen others give them a bath in warm water, just make sure they don't get chilled by being wet.
    Personally I just let the few sticky chicks I have had de-stick naturally over the first days or weeks of life, but it sounds like yours is more severe than mine was -Mine just had little spots; I actually used that and her smaller size to tell her from the other chicks.

3. motherhen2389

motherhen2389 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2016
    I put it under running water last night and used my fingers to sort of 'pet' the gunk off then I put it back in the incubator over night and now it's in the brooder with the rest. I really didn't think it was going to make it past hatch it spent a lot of time on its back just sort of twitching and rolling around but now it's running around like everyone else!

4. Erka97

Erka97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2017
    Very nice!
    I had one sort of like that, she nearly suffocated in her egg, then once I helped her out she just lay there for an entire day, doing nothing but breathing. Within a week she was running around like the others. That was the sticky one I mentioned before -she's nearly fully grown now.

Last edited: May 2, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by