Sticky chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mclevinson, Jul 11, 2011.

1. mclevinson

mclevinson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    I assisted a shrink wrapped chick who seems to be rallying just fine but cannot fluff out as his feathers seem to be coated and all stiff. He had a nice warm washcloth bath last night and I hesitate to bathe him again but I couldn't possibly put him in with the other chicks like this.

Advice?

2. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I would take a warm wet sponge or towel and gently bath him again. Keep wetting him and stroking his fluff until the gunk comes off. After let him just sit in the incubator. Easier said then done, I know! I can't think of any other way to do it. Maybe others can chime in.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have given chicks a bath to get the dried ick off by running warm water over the back of the chick and gently with a wash cloth rubbing the ick off then with a nice dry clean cloth dry the chick off as best I can. It may take a couple of baths.

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Little warm water goes a long way. Wrap the chick in paper towels then a washcloth to keep warm and help dry, and under a light they go. Ducklings that hatch sticky get this treatment and placed in a red plastic cup under the light. Once they are warm and heads fluffy I let them out in the brooder again.

5. ContessaKris

ContessaKris Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Grandview (SKC), MO
    I'm sorry, I'm new to chicken farming and don't know everything. Can you tell me why you would shrink wrap your eggs? How will the chickens get out? Doesn't the porous surface of the shell need moisture and heat? I'm confused. Please forgive my asking...

6. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

ContessKris...believe me, no one intentionally shrink wraps their eggs or chicks. [​IMG] Sometimes, if there isn't enough humidity during the lockdown (last 3 days at the end of which the chick should hatch) of incubation, the membrane closest to the chick (don't know the technical term for it) is too dry for the chick to break through -- it sticks to the chick. It literally looks as if the chick has been shrink wrapped which is why most people simply use that term.

I've successfully put a chick who had remnants of the shrink wrapping in a little bowl with 99 degree water and given it a bath (no soap). We weren't able to get one piece off it's head...despite numerous rubbings and eventually, about 2 weeks, his fluff grew through it and all is well.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  7. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Quote:shrink wrapping refers to the inner membrane stinking onto the chick preventing them from hatching properly. Not applying shrink rap around the outside of the eggs.

8. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Multiple baths, with a quick blow dry. Paint her nails and she'll be set!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by