Sticky chicken needs help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bertio, Jul 1, 2010.

1. bertio

bertio Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2008
    Dad had a really smart idea to place a strip of FLYPAPER right across from where my little Bantie roosts at night. [​IMG] Needless to say , she is now running around with flypaper stuck to her behind. Does anyone know how to get this stuff off her besides giving her a "clip Job"?
    Thanks

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    After I was done lol'ing at this mental image....

If you can catch her, you can lubricate the flypaper with any kind of household oil (vegetable, olive, baby, corn syrup.... anything oily and non-toxic) and the 'sticky' should become less so very quickly. Good luck with it!

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I had the same thing happen to my white/paint EE hen. Very bad.

Oil wouldn't help this particular brand become less sticky- I had to dust her with diatomaceous earth (less dirty looking than dirt...) to make it less sticky, and she preened some of the feathers out over time.

I won't do fly paper any more.

4. bertio

Oct 17, 2008
    I'll do it right away. She's my favorite, so I don't have to chase her around. Yes, it is quite funny, in a way. I was mainly concerned that when she decides to poop, because it's all in a ball and stuck to het rear.
    Thanks a lot, dad [​IMG]

5. bertio

Oct 17, 2008
    ChooksChick, what do you use insteasd of fly paper?
    Thanks

6. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I pretty much ignore the flies until they get really bad, and then I buy one of those disposable fly traps that stink like a carcass after you add water. If you hang them up high, the smell doesn't fall down to nose level most of the time. Thing is, I always worry they draw flies IN to the yard, because the bait stinking so profoundly!

If you cover the poop or give them mulch in the are that is so poopy, you won't have as many flies. I use poop boards in my coop to catch the poop every night, and if I scrape them daily or every other day, this limits the number of flies. Also, if you use stall dri or sand on the poop boards, it dries quickly- this makes it far less likely to draw flies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by