1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sticky chicks? WHY??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BawGock, Mar 25, 2009.

1. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    Good Morning,
    I'm hatching 18 eggs in a Hovabator 1588 and I'm on day 22 today.
    Temps have been 99.5-100, days 1-17 humidity 40-50%, day 18 to now 60-70%

Had 11 chicks hatch no problem but last night had a chick get stuck in it's egg and was able to help it without opening the bator, we used a wire through the plug hole.
    Had another chick hatch no problem then had another chick get stuck and had to open the bator to help this time. That was this morning.
    We covered the last two eggs with a warm damp towel when we quickly opened the bator to help this chick and now another egg is hatching with no problems.

Except to rescue this chick this morning I have followed the "do not open the bator from day 18" rule but I did open the red plug the times when the humidity got over 70% to get it back down to the 65-70% range.

Any ideas with what went wrong?
    Thanks!
    Carolyn

2. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Were they all sticky? If so the humidity was to high. While your Hygrometer may have read 70%, they are notorious for being off as much as 5+ points. My last hatch got away from me and I had chicks hatch on day 20 where I did not increase the humidity at all, They were the most fluffy chicks I have ever hatched. Nice clean zips. You can test the accuracy of your hygrometer. here is the link:
    http://exoticpets.about.com/od/herpresources/ss/hygrometer_4.htm

You may want to make some adjustments to your humidity for the next time. They chicks themselves will tell you much about your setting.

Another good site is this troubleshooting site:
    http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/trouble.htm#PIP

Enjoy your new chicks.

3. BawGock

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    Thanks jimnjay,
    My hygrometer was calibrated using that method.
    But agree the humidity has to be the reason.
    I have 11 chicks hatch cleanly with no probs, nice white membranes.
    The humidity did get as high as 75% when I had several chicks hatch in a short span of time and I pulled the red vent plug to get it back under 70%.
    These chicks did get stuck after that spike in humidity.
    What I find so weird is to have one stuck, then one fine, one stuck and then another fine.
    The membranes on the stuck ones was yellowish and transparent and the good ones white and opaque.
    Carolyn

4. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    I guess I am lucky, I used to work in a calibration lab for the AF so I can take mine over to the lab and have them calibrate it for me! I will find out though what would be the easiest method for doing it at home.

5. BawGock

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    That is convient for sure!
    Candle98 I have a link in my signature for a great site that shows you how to do it at home.
    I love the step by step directions so I put it there to share with other hatchers.
    Carolyn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by