Sticky Chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicky Tocks, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    I have two chicks hatched out right now. Humidity is a balmy 70%. These chicks are sticky! I can tell that the first one hatched is drying, but there are sticky flakes on her back next to the skin. Are these going to fall off so that she can fluff? Will I need to wash these chicks to get them fluffy and pretty like everyone elses that I see?

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Let`m dry on their own Cyndi. DO NOT WASH THEM.......Pop

3. Marion

Marion Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I have one that hatched last and it is down right crusty looking! I have had ones that were like that in the past and eventually they do fluff up, I really wouldn't wet them down and chance them getting chilled.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:No, chicks will fluff up in a day or so on their own.

5. Chicky Tocks

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Hee! Ok...(puts the wet washclothe away) I just thought they would fluff as they dried, and I do see the fluff coming on, but it's the back that's so crusty looking. Maybe after they've been in the bator for a few more hours and then get into the brooder with their heat lamp and pine chips they'll fluff out.

6. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Quote:I just put my 2 little ones under a 100w bulb in a brooder.. they hatched couple hours ago. Still waiting on 2 more... These were the 4 eggs that hen left and got cold (my goof though not hens)

They are getting dry and fluffy.. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  7. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Aww the little bubbers (that's me in an obsessed chickie idiot voice saying babies) I love it when people show pictures! I love chick babies! Can't wait for my own [​IMG]

8. Chicky Tocks

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Ok...one of these babies back has hardened into glue! I rinsed it with a wet clothe and put it back under the red heat lamp. There's just no way that mess was going to fluff!

9. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Quote:Ok,, look real close...

If the little chick is out of the shell.... Look at that back and see if there is a stuck piece of membrane on it... If so,, damp and remove it...

Since I'm not sure what you're looking at.. Is the little chick still in the shell..

If so, then very carefully damp that membrane because it's getting dried out..

Next very carefully pull it from the little chick.. When I did mine, it took me over 6-7 hours to do the run thru process.. You have to watch and make sure the little chick is ready to come out.. It will have little feathery like on it.. if it is still being hatched then you'll see blood.. If so quit.. damp.. edge of heat lamp.. not directly under it or it will bar-b-que ...

In about an hour go thru process again.. damp membrane,, if possible tear it from little chick..

Like I stated .. it took a period of time for the little chick to be free of the membrane where the membrane will tear off leaving little chick.. Then lay it once again edge of heat lamp.. not directly under it.. Or it will dehydrate to much..

In an hour or 2.. it will or should be strong enough to eat a little..

again ..good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by