Sticky duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nbeucler, Feb 19, 2015.

1. nbeucler

nbeucler Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2014
    Hello

Hopefully there is someone out there who can help me, but this little guy hatched yesterday morning and has been in the incubator since because he won't get fluffy. Any one have any ideas to help me get that dried gunk off of him? Especially his eyes?[​IMG]/type/61/id/6747685/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I am not a hatcher, but was wondering if you could dampen a washcloth and wipe him very very gently in a warm area?

Wondering also if @Lacrystol or @casportpony or @learycow are nearby?

3. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    He was sticky? Did you have to help him out??

4. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    When they get sticky that stuff is horrible, you could do two things, one take a warm cloth and give him a bath with it,

Or give him a warm bath after your done use a hair dry set it on low.

5. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Avoid the beak area when bathing him, just use a cloth and wet his face down if you choose the warm bath, hold him don't let him swim at all..

6. nbeucler

Jul 18, 2014
    He was pipped for a day, then managed to zip around the top of the shell, but sat there for another 12 plus hours. He wasn't moving when I opened the shell.

I am going to try the warm cloth tomorrow, he is so tiny and I don't want to hurt his eyes

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Thanks, Lacrystol [​IMG]

8. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Qtip them, you can wet the qtip with warm water and just gently go over them. He'll be OK, Your one of the lucky ones to get him out. Being in that shell for that long, poor thing sounds like he got REALLY tired and usually at that point they give up. That's probably why you didn't see him moving because he was about to give up.. SO pat yourself on the back for that one..

YOU SAVED THE LITTLE GUY. WOOOO OOOOOO now to get him looking like a duck. hahahaha.

You have to clean him really really good and warm water is your best solution. That stuff dries up on there and makes there little fur Hard as a ROCK.

9. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    THANK YOU

10. nbeucler

Jul 18, 2014
    I managed to get some of the stuff off his eyes. He didn't like it at all. I'll give him a break for a while before I try again. He's a fighter!

Thanks for the help and encouragement!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by