Sticky eggs,one froze and burst,how can I clean them?

Ms. Lewis Rich

Songster
12 Years
Dec 18, 2007
I have 9 sticky eggs that I want to hatch, what is the best way to clean them?
They are Copper Marans really dark I guess the brown will wash off!
Any help?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard using a very fine grit sand paper is best for getting a hatching egg clean if they really need it...If they arent that bad, I would just leave them...
Hope that helps
smile.png

Last edited:
These are the worst I have ever seen one burst and all of them are sticky and really dirty, Is it really warm water to pull out bacteria, I really would love these to hatch but do not want to contaminate the bator. then I wonder if you put them directly in bator or let them air dry?

I'm pretty sure it's rinse them warm; Cold would cause them to contract and pull in bacteria.

I've also heard that you should gently sand them with sandpaper if they're dirty.

Since yours are sticky with egg, I'd be inclined to give them a quick rinse and let them air-dry on a towel before putting them in the incubator.

And then I'd watch them closely to make sure they don't seep too badly after you put them in the incubator.

The protective coating is probably already compromised by the egg goop.
And honestly, after that much trauma and temp issues, you probably won't get a hatch anyway. Sorry!!

Last edited:
Quote:
NNNNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Dont soak them in WATER you will drown the chick!!! the developing embryo needs to breathe through the pores on the shell if you soak them in water then the water will go into the egg!!!!

Quote:
NNNNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Dont soak them in WATER you will drown the chick!!! the developing embryo needs to breathe through the pores on the shell if you soak them in water then the water will go into the egg!!!!

Under the running water not submerged. But yes you can put them under the water. It takes seconds. I do every one of my eggs this way for years an get 1 or 2 clears for every 10 I set so I'm pretty sure there not drowning. Nor have I had an issue with bacteria.

Thank you guys alot I have never seen a worse mess of sticky poopy eggs with straw, it was awful.
And yes the dark brown washes off!!
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom