Sticky listing processors by state?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by carress, Jul 8, 2011.

1. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    It took me months of searching to find a processor. I hit up the state Ag department, the USDA, called 100 people, tried other chicken folk, and finally I found a couple.

It would be possible to avoid that agony by creating a listing of processors, maybe as a sticky in this forum. What do you folks think?

2. chickenjoe

chickenjoe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    Quote:Here you go

http://www.extension.org/pages/23914/state-listings

This should help with the process
    Thank the good people at NYS Coop Ext.

I have been search for a while too. I found this about a month ago I had the link for NY state post and post the multi state over on BYH.

I hope this helps every one.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  3. carress

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    That's where half my 100 calls originated. Almost entirely ead ends there.

I called the woman whose name is listed there, and the closest processors she knew of were still over 1.5 hours away.

4. chickenjoe

Apr 22, 2009
    Well that list there is for usda and state certified processors. If your looking for private people to doing I would put an ad on Craigslist or something.

5. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:Here you go

http://www.extension.org/pages/23914/state-listings

This should help with the process
    Thank the good people at NYS Coop Ext.

I have been search for a while too. I found this about a month ago I had the link for NY state post and post the multi state over on BYH.

I hope this helps every one.

I can tell you for those that live in Vermont that the listings on the list for Vermont are not accurate as none of those listings do poultry. Misty Knoll does their own only not anyone elses and all the other listings are out of business accept Vermont SLP and they only do large animals goats, sheep, pig, cow. If I can find the number for the guy we use I will post it for everyone.

6. chickenjoe

Apr 22, 2009
    I know for the list for ny state this list is other meats besides poultry. I posted it just to help people out.

7. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:Oh I get that I was just letting people know that the Vermont listings are out of date (my way of trying to be helpful since last year at this time I was calling trying to find someone). The guy I use is John Place not sure of his number right now will have to dig it up. Other than him for processing chickens there are two others for Vermont. I will try and see if I can't get their names as well for your list. We also have a rental mobile processor that will drive to your house and you can process out of their large truck (it's like a mobile sterile butcher station) but I believe it costs a lot more. When I find John's number I will post it so people in VT can have it. [​IMG]

8. RoosterGeek

RoosterGeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Lebanon, TN
    I would be all about this! I don't believe TN has any, or at least Middle TN. Most folks use S and S enterprises outside of Bowling Green Kentucky. The last time I called them they said that a new placed opened up near Lexington.

9. carress

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    Well, as far as the NY list, it wasn't very helpful.
    I called 100 places and generally got no response or a 'we dont do that' response.

I think it couldn't hurt to have the info for anyone who does want/need it.
    So.. how would we go about creating this list?

10. munsellspoultry

munsellspoultry New Egg

Jul 19, 2011
    Fowlerville, MI
    It is very difficult to try and find a good processor. We are located in Michigan and there are only a handful of processors that are licensed through the state. There are many back yard processors but at least when you send it to a processor you know the state and USDA are there over seeing their process.

11. DanBeckyMSPP

DanBeckyMSPP New Egg

Jul 16, 2014
    Hello everyone. I am a backyard processor in NE Vermont. I've processed over 18,000 chickens & turkeys over the past 4 years for folks, and never an unhappy customer. I'm not sure where to plant this post, so this looks like a good spot. Admin, if I'm in error posting it here, please remove or move to an appropriate spot. Family members take turns working with me (several daughters & my wife). Here is the info from my ongoing, yearround Craigslist ad for my business (Martin Sawmilling & Poultry Processing). Search for "poultry processing":

Poultry: we also do poultry processing of your chickens and turkeys. Quality is our top concern: no hack job. You get whatever innards you want to keep - no extra fees. Whatever you don't want to eat can go into your compost pile to feed your garden next year. Travel fee is $.50/mile one-way from Sheffield (05866). We normally travel within a 40 mile radius of home, but can travel further - cost will be added to cover time on the road for longer trips. You provide power, water and freezer bags. There are no other fees. We hand you the chilled bird, ready for you to package (allowing you the chance to inspect the finished product). We can assist you with bagging if desired. Once you've eaten homegrown, you'll never go back! We can handle quite a few birds per day. Our records so far are: 219 chickens in 8 hours/125 turkeys in 7 hours. We can work in the winter months, but only on warmer days (above 35F). We have no minimum #birds, but please be reasonable - please call with any questions! References available upon request...(2014 Price: $3.25 per chicken, $8.50 per turkey). And the answer is "no" - I don't use the sawmill on extra large birds...

To contact me, you can respond to this by email or call directly at (802) 626-3480. Answering machine & caller ID are set up, so leave a message if no one is home. I try to return calls the same evening between 6 and 9pm. You can see more pictures if you LIKE us on Facebook. Search for "Martin Sawmilling & Poultry Processing", or go to this link:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Martin-Sawmilling-Poultry-Processing/221144607974850

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by