Sticky on sex linked crosses

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tadkerson, Oct 15, 2009.

1. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    To the Administration,

Would it be possible to have a sticky on sex linked crosses? The same questions and erroneous information are being posted over and over on the forum.

I would be glad to write an introduction with information. I have written a section on sex linked crosses and auto-sexing in my book that is over 50 pages (I am still writing on the subject). It is turning into a chapter.

The forum members can post pictures of chicks and adults of the different sex linked crosses. If others would like to see this or have additional ideas please post on this thread.

Tim

2. Zoomom

Zoomom Certified Cackleberry Consumer

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    That is a great idea. [​IMG]

3. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Quote:OMG YES PLEASE

Hey Tim - include new and off breeds like Dels and Marans [​IMG]

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

5. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Oh please! That's a great idea [​IMG]

6. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Please do. I'm with Tadkerson. I think there's a lot of information out there that needs to be addressed on the rights/wrongs of this topic. Should really be a doosey to check out. Sounds like more fun. Come on How 'bout it.

catdaddyfro

P.S. don't forget them Peanut Butter and Bananna sandwiches. They're good for ya.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    And I give you 10 out of 10 possible point for coming up with this idea.

[​IMG]

Chris

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    SUper idea...so tell us about your book...

9. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    My book is written specifically for the person who wants to breed chickens. The beginning of the book starts with the basics about the cell and how the cell relates to characteristics in chickens. From there the next chapters discuss simple genetics and probabilities. I start out simple and work to more complex ideas. I introduce the language of genetics starting with simple concepts and proceeding to more complex ideas.

I present the information with examples and in different formats. I use the same information and concepts repeatedly.- many times I will give a technical definition for a word but then shorten the definition as a reminder and repeat the reminder l in the book. An example is the word heterozygous - which is defined as the state of an organism that has two different alleles at the same locus on a chromosome. I can shorten that to the word split or a dominant and recessive gene as a reminder of what the term means.

I will also have lots of pictures along with descriptions of phenotypes (what it looks like).

What I also do is analyze the research that scientists have carried out and present the information in three different formats. I give specific information about crosses in a written format, then summarize the data in short bits of information and also put the information in a table format. I will supply pictures if I can.

I have a whole chapter that deals with the genotypes of every chicken in the APA Standard of perfection. Every genotype is referenced with research.

I am writing a chapter just on the genetics of down color. I plan on having plenty of pictures.

To give you an example of how in depth I am writing- I have written 8 and 1/2 pages (size 14 font) just on the dominant white allele. That does not include the information I will have in the chapter on breeding. In the breeding chapter of the book (over 50 pages) I have written over thirty pages just on sex linkage I am still writing- I also including autosexing.

I have been working on the book for two years.

I taught biology, chemistry and science research for twenty five years. I am writing the book as a teaching tool and not just a reference. I work on the book every day but it is slow going. If I do not find somebody to publish the book - will have one awesome reference. I can not remember everything I write so many times I will go back and look at a summary of some specific research in the book.

I want the book to be inexpensive so that individuals can afford the book. When I get the book about 80% finished, I will send a proposal to a publishing company I have picked out. I need to find a geneticist (somebody at a university) to edit the book.

I also include some of my own observations in the book and give my own opinions. I DO NOT PRESENT MY WORK AS SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH OR AT THE LEVEL OF SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH. My conclusions and observations have not been published so I present them as such.

Tim

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Well Tim I wish you the best of luck on your book and I cant wait to see it in the stores. I can say I will be looking forward in reading it..
    It sound like it is going to be one of those books that is going to be hard to put down with lots of good useful information..

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by