Sticky Suggestion for Chicken Laws & Ordinances forum

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by k3llyVA, Mar 26, 2012.

1. k3llyVA

k3llyVA Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2012
    Arlington, VA
    I spend much of my BYC time in the Chicken Laws & Ordinances forum because I live in an area where we are trying to change the zoning ordinances to allow for backyard hens. Here in Arlington VA, we have a very organized group that is making good progress.

Many people posting are just getting started trying to change ordinances and covenants in their area and don't know where to start, or how to approach their local government. I think it would be helpful to have a Sticky thread where folks can post sample petitions, proposed ordinances, and letters to local government officials and zoning boards.

This information is sometimes posted within individual threads, but having it all in one place would be a big help for people wanting to organize support in their town or county.

Thanks for considering!

2. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

It's a great idea and definitely something we'd like to work on. With our new "articles" system we can create collaborative articles... maybe this would be a good opportunity to test it. A group of peeps working together on information about changing laws and ordinances.

3. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
  4. k3llyVA

k3llyVA Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2012
    Arlington, VA
    How do we get started on an article?
    In the meantime, I posted a couple of links to Coopa Cabana's direct links thread. Looks like it's been quite a while since anyone posted on it, but maybe we can revive it and get some more info from others.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  5. Coopa Cabana

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Maybe Nifty can re-visit making the other thread a sticky. Thank you, k3lly - I have added your 2 links to my other thread.

6. M-I Chicken

M-I Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    Monmouth, Oregon
    I work in local government and may be able to be helpful. I'm new here and still trying to find my way around. Not sure if this topic has moved elsewhere. Anyway, if you want an ear, give me a peep.

7. Coopa Cabana

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
  8. M-I Chicken

M-I Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    Monmouth, Oregon
    much thanks.

9. teresann79

teresann79 New Egg

Dec 4, 2016
    Im new at all this but my local city is looking at changing the ordonances for byc. What all can i do to help make the chsnge?

10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC!

I have never had to deal with ordinances in my town so I can't be sure what you need to do. But you might stop by this forum here on BYC and see if others in your area know anything? https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/37/local-chicken-laws-ordinances-and-how-to-change-them

You can also stop by your state thread and see if others in your state have ever had to deal with law changes... https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

Good luck and I hope you can keep your flock! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by