Stiff Chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sekeyslaks, Aug 16, 2014.

1. sekeyslaks

sekeyslaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2014
    Hello everyone! I noticed today that my lowest-ranking EE hen Harding is moving kind of odd,she is holding herself stiffly and walking slowly one step at a time,when she must run she runs forward in a limping sort of gait.Your thoughts would be most appreciated! I hope she is not badly damaged as she is a very good hen I would hate to lose her.This hen has never had this kind of problem before and is usually quite spry when she's free-ranging like today!Please respond soon!Many thanks![​IMG]

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    This is a long-shot, but it almost sounds like she's egg-bound from your description. Can you feel her behind...is there an egg in there? If so, give her an epsom salts bath, real warm, for about 15-20 minutes...that should help. Also, here's a page on egg-bound hens you might find interesting, just in case this is what it is:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/search?q=egg+bound
    [​IMG]

3. sekeyslaks

Jun 25, 2014
    I didn't consider egg-binding!!I assumed it was a back injury,I'll go and see what I find!

4. sekeyslaks

Jun 25, 2014
    Unfortunately it's confirmed she is indeed egg bound!Poor thing..it's a large egg!! Anyone else know how to treat a hen that's egg bound?I should have expected this,my hens are 3-4 yrs old!

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Read the link provided by iwiw60 provided in post #2. Warm soak to her vent area for 30 minutes, massage her belly down toward the vent, and sometimes lubricating the vent with olive oil helps. Give her some calcium (a Tums, calcium tablet, oystershell, crushed eggshells, etc.)

6. sekeyslaks

Jun 25, 2014
    Thanks for the advice!I'll let all of you know how she does!Alright chickie...[​IMG] BATH TIME!!![​IMG]

7. sekeyslaks

Jun 25, 2014
    Does anyone have an alternative to Epsom salts? the only salts I have have eucalyptus and lavender(in other words people salts) will that hurt her?Please respond quickly if you can please![​IMG]

8. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Even if it's plain water, it's the warmth that will relax her!

9. sekeyslaks

Jun 25, 2014
    Okay I just bathed her..and our DOG doesn't like a bath this much!I thought I would have to re-arrange the bathroom!but she settled herself in and stood still for fifteen minutes.Awesome![​IMG] no salts in this bath just warm water.she seemed relaxed but she hasn't expelled that egg yet,should I do another bath in their laying time like in the morning?

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by