Silkie_Mom

Songster
Oct 26, 2017
Arizona
Okay it seems like there is lots of leg injuries going around, but I've yet to see one like hers.

It started maybe a week or two ago. Possibly from a overly excited young roo. She was kinda waddling around low to the ground like she was egg bound or waiting for a rooster. I checked her, no egg stuck. After that she limped off to her nesting box where she stayed for a few days. Which is super normal for her.

BUT then she finally came out and it was much worse. Her leg was stuck in an extended position but she could wiggle her toes a tiny bit so I didn't think it was broken. The roos were torturing her so I brought her into my indoor brooder. No other chickens were having issues.

I'm afraid to mess with it too much. It's not hot like an infection. She sleeps a lot and isn't crazy about me inspecting her legs. She can limp over to food and water so she's not starving. I'm just not sure what to do with her. If anyone has seen this before or has any tips, I'd greatly appreciate it. She's about a year old, delivered from a hatchery. One of my first I raised from itty bitty chick babies.

Attachments

• 20190202_183309_HDR.jpg
    20190202_183309_HDR.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 13
week or two ago. Possibly from a overly excited young roo. She was kinda waddling around low to the ground like she was egg bound or waiting for a rooster. I checked her, no egg stuck. After that she limped off to her nesting box where she stayed for a few days. Which is super normal for her.

leg was stuck in an extended position but she could wiggle her toes a tiny bit so I didn't think it was broken. The roos were torturing her

She sleeps a lot and isn't crazy about me inspecting her legs. She can limp over to food and water
Can you take a video of her walking? Upload it to youtube, then provide us a link.

She doesn't like you to inspect the legs, but have you done that? Back of hocks no swelling?

You mention that she went to the nesting box and stayed a few days which is normal for her? Has she ever been broody? It's not really normal for a hen to stay in a nesting box for a few days unless she is broody. This sounds more like hiding or she's been sick for a good while - how many roosters do you have?

I agree, it does sound like Marek's. It's possible it could be injury, if you have vet care, that is always best.
Since she's been like this for a couple of weeks without improvement, quality of life does need to be considered.

What does her poop look like?
Supportive care of B-complex vitamins at 1/4 tablet daily would be good. I would also give her Poultry Nutri-Drench direct dose at 1cc per 3 pounds of weight daily for 3-5 days.
Do you know when she last laid an egg? I would also feel the abdomen for bloat, swelling or fluid.

If you have too many roosters, you may need to rehome some if they are harassing your hens. Can you show a picture of how she stands? The video would be even better. Does she walk on her hocks or ankles? Can she move both legs? Does she have any problems with balance? The vitamin B complex would be very good to give her. Hopefully, it is more of an injury or a vitamin deficiency, but Mareks should be considered.

Back
Top Bottom