Stiff legged hen.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by berserker, Mar 16, 2013.

1. berserker

berserker Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    I noticed that two out of three green legged hens I have, are limpin from one leg, one worse than the other. The one in the worst condition limps and the leg look as if she can not articulate her fingers and like if they are just stiff; from time to time she atempts to bend them and so she does but only up to a limited range.

The other hen is the same exept that she limps much much less and the only thing afected apears to be a finger which seems like it is stiff also.

I dont know if it is my paranoia but I'm on the impression that other chicken with in my flok show this signs as well but in a way that you have to look good or it becomes imperseptible to the necked eye, like if they were about to go into the same condition my other two are.

Any sugestions as to what it could be and how to fix it.

Thanks.

2. berserker

berserker Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    Up up!!!

I've been thinking about it and there is a couple of things that I think I should add.

two weeks ago my pit got close to the coops(which I never allow her to do) and started to run aroun them and jump on the chicken wire like tring to bring it down(She had to kill them chicken). The chicken started to go nuts and flying frantically from one side of the coop to the other until I realized what was going on and went to stop the dog. I wander if they injured their legs when this hapened. The thing is If they got ijured I didn't noticed until today.

The other thing is that we've had a little of a cold weather during this week, so, I was thinking that maybe their legs got frozen and their tissues got damaged. The thing is that down here in FL doesn't get that cold so I don't know what to think.

Never seen anything like it before !! Is there any contageous desease with such symptoms ??

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by