Still a buff cochin?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by prin23, Mar 27, 2017.

1. prin23

prin23 Just Hatched

Mar 20, 2017
    Oregon
    One of my little chicks is starting to grow pretty flecks of dark grey on his/her wing feathers. Is this coloring still buff cochin? S/he was also the only chick in the bin at the feed store with a dark spot on his/her head.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

S/he is the smaller one in this photo.
    [​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Chick wing feathers change as they grow and molt out. I haven't had a buff feather with lacing on the wings. It's possible it's a red. You are just going to have wait a bit longer to see how they come in before figuring out it's color.

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Hatcheries sometimes get colors mixed up and they also usually don't breed to standard so off colored birds are common. Also like stated above coloring can change in time with their first couple molts. Just have to wait it out.

4. AlishaRichard

AlishaRichard Just Hatched

Dec 31, 2016
    Looks like a Buff Bahama to me.

5. prin23

prin23 Just Hatched

Mar 20, 2017
    Oregon
    Thanks everyone! I guess I just have to be patient and find out. I'm learning that patience is a fairly important thing to have when raising chickens haha! I've raised pigeons for years and I feel like there are no surprises with them anymore. I know this chicky will be beautiful no matter what [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    at 6-8 weeks of age when they are fully feathered out, their breed & gender should be more obvious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by