1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Still a little young... But I think these two are likely Roos.... :(

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by citygirl180, Dec 18, 2014.

1. citygirl180

citygirl180 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2014
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Thoughts?
    [​IMG]

The French breese is definitely cocky and the most dominant of my 6. But she/he is the only French breese I have so nothing to compare to. The black copper marans has a sister who is definitely developing differently.

I knew I had a 50/50 chance with all of them.... But I'm feeling a little bummed. I've gotten quite attached to them all!

[​IMG]

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Very much looking roosterly, however age is a very important bit of info when trying to tell. How old are they?

Breed is also important and you're right, without others of the same breed and clutch it can be hard to tell by comparison which is one of the best methods.

Anyway, best wishes with them.

3. citygirl180

citygirl180 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2014
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I believe they are 4 weeks old... Give or take. The breese and the marans have grown soooo much faster than my olive eggers, so I wonder if they might be a bit older. The eggers are for sure 4 weeks to the day. They just might be a smaller breed though.
    I googled French breese pictures awhile back, and even the hens are pretty big and pompous looking (if that makes sense) they have a pretty aggressive stature from what I've seen... So just *maybe* I'll get lucky.
    This is my first time raising chicks. It's so fascinating!! I can't believe how quickly they get so big!
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll post more photos in a week or so and we shall see... :)

4. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    4 weeks is way too young for females to show that much comb development.

Sorry, but my bet is all males. For your sake I hope it's wrong, lol!

Looking at them I'd think you can probably expect precocious male development, including early mating and crowing behaviors, since that's a fair bit of comb and coloring up for such young fellows. The average male chick probably shows about that much around 6 weeks and onwards, with some not even showing so much until 10 weeks or over, and pullets lagging very far behind that.

The breeder may swap them for pullets, perhaps.

Stance isn't a reliable indicator, neither is behavior, though if a family line is known for certain genderized traits you could bank on it a bit more. Like some people find their boys snuggle the mother whereas the girls are more bold, or vice versa. It's a problem when they tell others those personality traits are reliable gender indicators for the breed as a whole though, may be true for one family line but never for all. Comb development is far more reliable.

Best wishes.

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Look like males to me

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Look like cockerels to me, too.

8. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    x2

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I'm leaning toward cockerels as well, but they are still very young and I would post again in about 3 weeks. By then we should be able to tell for certain.

10. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Your BCM is a roo. Sorry. BCM tell pretty early.

Here is a photo of my BCM roo with his pullet siblings at around 4 weeks of age too.

Lady of McCamley

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by