Still a mystery bantam (to me)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Crickett B, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Crickett B

Crickett B Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    This is the only one out of the 15 assorted, that I have no clue what it could be [​IMG]
    He is about three weeks old. He is not the same color as the two other black cochin babies (they are black with white on their chest)
    Is he even a cochin to begin with? and if so, what color?
    I have stared and looked up all the birds that Ideal has to offer and I am stumped.
    Thanks for any help or ideas, or leads.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Golly, except for his color, I'd say Cochin. The color doesn't seem to be black or partridge, either one. Hopefully, someone can help you with this little guy--and it does seem to be a "guy" in those pics.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Cochin indeed. No other single combed, feather shanked bird has vulture hocks. (cochins shouldn't either, but hatchery ones often do)

The color honestly looks to me like the black version of Lemon Blue. Where'd you get him/her from?

4. Crickett B

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    It's driving me nuts! And I already have "cabin fever" so it did not take much [​IMG]

And one of my D'uccles, the bigger one, I think is a little roo too. (woo hoo)
    Like I NEED another roo? lol

5. Crickett B

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    Quote:He came from an assortment of 100 bantams from Ideal, that I bought at the local feed store here, Illia.

I could tell he was an obvious roo when I bought him, his little comb stuck out like a sore thumb. But I said what the heck, he was the only one in the batch that had those colors.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Maybe he's just a bad colored one.

7. phasian

phasian Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Oregon
    Knowing the Ideal inventory fairly well, I would say that you have a either a Partridge Cochin or a Brown Red D'Uccle (which often have vulture hocks-- much more commonly than Cochins). However, I don't see the typical beard that D'Uccles would start to exhibit by this age......

Hope this helps somewhat.

8. Crickett B

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    It is odd... the white cochin ( I think), the two blacks and this one still have all the chick "fuzz". Everyone else is getting their teenage feathers already

9. phasian

phasian Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Oregon
    Certain breeds are much slower to develop than others..... I have raised over 60+ chicken breeds so far and am always amazed at the differences in development amongst certain breeds. Larger or heavier bodied ones (even amongst bantams) often take longer. This would probably indicate this chick to be a Cochin as I find D'Uccles to develop faster than Cochins.

It's really interesting- to me at least-- how different behaviour is amongst breeds from the hatching experience. I find Seramas especially are precocious. They practically jump right out of the egg and start strutting their stuff, while some of the standards, notably my Penedesencas, are kind of slow and seem exhausted by the process of emerging into the world.....

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  10. Crickett B

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    The 2 D'uccles and the 2 Partridge cochins have their teenage feathers also coming in really good. The D'uccles are already getting spots!
    I wish it were a lemon blue, as Illia suggested (except a black version), I looked those up and they are beautiful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by