Still a newbie!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Peeps20, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Peeps20

Peeps20 New Egg

Jul 4, 2009
    We joined almost 3 years ago, but are kind of shy and haven't made any posts.[​IMG] We found BYC while looking for help in building a chicken coup. We have spent a lot of time reading posts, however and have learned a lot. [​IMG] We are the #6 on the Be a Good BYC Citizens list! Ha!
    Anyway, the third grade teacher at school hatched chicks in her classroom, from which came our first four chicks. Two cochins and two bantams, at least we think that’s what they are. They came home that June to a house with two German shepherd mix dogs and three cats. Two of our three college age students were still at home too. I am a music teacher and my husband works for a museum on a historic replica ship. We loved those chicks, Emma, Nellie, Coach and Twilight who was named by the 3rd grade teacher. We’d sit for hours just watching them in the yard. Unfortunately, Coach and Twi got inside the fenced in backyard and one of the dogs got Coach. Luckily, the cats have no interest in the chickens. The girls have been good layers; Twi is the broody one so we decided to get a rooster, his name is Buster. He is big red bird with shimmery black tail feathers, who comes when you call is name. We don’t actually know his breed. With the help of all the “girls” we hatched 11 of 16 eggs that next June. We kept 3 of the babies. Didn’t know at the time they were 2 hens and a rooster who now looks like his dad just slightly bigger. They had been free range, but a hawk got Emma earlier this year so we built an aviary to keep the 7 remaining birds safe. Just a week ago, the first one of 5 eggs hatched. Right now Nellie and all the chicks are in the big dog crate, but I foresee more building in our future.
    Twi and the rooster son have begun picking on one of his “sisters”. Today when I lifted the lid on the laying box, that hen was in the box. Besides plucked feathers, she has a puncture probably from a talon right in the groove by her right wing. I’m afraid she isn’t going to make it. We don’t know what to do for her. We’ve never had this problem before. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to treat the wound? We don’t want to loose her. We put her is the old doghouse which we had converted to a roost when we just had the original four hens. We have been looking for a home for “Blackie” the rooster son. He is so beautiful, we don’t want him to be just someone's dinner, but realize two roosters are two too many.
    Thanks from Peeps20 in Maryland (sorry this is so long, it’s 3 years worth) Ha![​IMG]

2. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Hello welcome from Louisiana [​IMG]

3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't be shy, no one bites and if they do, you just tell me. LOL [​IMG] Glad too meet you welcome (Again) from Big Bear Ca.

4. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

6. Peeps20

Peeps20 New Egg

Jul 4, 2009
    Thanks for the welcome. Our hen made it through the night. She was so good as we thoroughly cleaned her up this morning, nasty wound. She is secured away from the other birds and is eating and drinking. [​IMG] We are leaving tomorrow for a few days before school starts on August 4th, so I'm off to the Amish feed store to get more chicken supplies to make it easier for our house/critter sitter. Thanks again for responding. It made me feel good. [​IMG]

7. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome back to BYC.

9. Luckytaz

Luckytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Rogers, Mn.
    Welcome, from Minnesota.

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Keep an antibiotic ointment on the wound and she should be fine, if it is not too deep. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by