Still Air Incubator! Good deal or not?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tripp16, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Hi everyone!
    My friend has offered to sell me her still air incubator along with the turner for $30.00!

I have heard the bad things about these incubators and I have been trying to purchase a fan on incubator warehouse.come but its not letting me a make a shopping account.

Anyways my total investment with the fan would be about 60 dollars give or take. Is this a good deal? Will the fan really make a difference? Or should I save myself the trouble and buy a preset hova bator?

I just thought it was a great deal.

Thanks!

I want to figure everything out before I get it and waste eggs.

2. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Anyone??

3. Jake1297

Jake1297 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Western Maine
    I have one of each, still air and circulated. If your looking to save money it sounds like a good deal for first time starting out. I only use my still air for lock down and hatching this way my turner stays clean. By the way, if you have the know how, you can use a computer fan for circulation.

4. srpaint

srpaint Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Illinois
    I would buy it.

5. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Well I guess Ill still buy it. I will try it with a fan and see how it goes.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

A fan is always worth having in an incubator.

7. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Get a small 12 volt computer fan from an old computer tower. (You can find them everywhere) I have a diagram for wiring, but I am not able to post the picture of it. Wire the computer fan to a 12 volt adaptor or 12 volt cell phone charger.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  8. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Sounds like a pretty good deal to me..not great but not bad either. If the computer fan thing isn't doable for you; I believe you can pick those fans up at any Tractor Supply.

Good luck! There is nothing like hatching your own eggs. I'm not sure what is more exciting..hatch day or checking the nest every day waiting on your pullets to become hens.

9. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    I got that type of incubator for $105 including turner, and it has worked just fine for me.

10. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Well I was told that the Computer fans spin to fast whereas the Incubatro warehouse $30 fan says its perfectly made to spin correctly. Is this just so they can sell it? I checked Tractor supply because I dont know if I can hook the computer fan up. They didnt have it. :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by