1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

STILL AIR INCUBATOR PEOPLE!!! I have ????'s

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenwhisperer123, Nov 18, 2009.

1. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I have read that it is supposed to be 99.5*, 100.5*, and 101*..... I AM SO CONFUSED!!

I just got the incubator tonight, and am just reading about it.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  2. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    102 F for still air's.....99.5 for circulated air bators. Humidity is good at between 30's and 50's.

3. chickenwhisperer123

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    WOW!!! [​IMG]

4. chickenwhisperer123

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Right now it is at about 101.1*. (If that makes any difference..)

[​IMG] I CANT WAIT TO HATCH!!!

5. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    I kept mine at 101.5 at egg turner level when it was still air. Did fairly well with hatches at that. My DS put a fan in it and I have since had two hatches that were almost 100% with shipped eggs. I love mine now.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I kept mine around 100 degrees. (like the instructions said) It would sometimes get up to 101.3. That was my first hatch, and I think it went well. Next time I will bump up the temp just a hair though and try 101.5.

7. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    We kept our around 101.5 and with 2 hatches we got 100% hatch rate with 1st duck and then chicken eggs. Good luck to you!

8. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    My still air varies between 101-102 and I keep my humidity between 40-50%.

9. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    Some of the temp differences are for specific types of birds. Some do better at higher temps than others. You can find that info online as well.

10. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

Ventilation is IMPORTANT. A circulating fan is "easy and cheap" to install (used computer fan). I keeps the heat throughout the incubator at the SAME temperature. It ALSO facilitates the inflow of Oxygen and the outflow of carbon dioxide, allowing the eggs to "breathe" correctly.

In a "still-air" incubator, the temperature of the air inside is "stratified" (layered). The temperature inside the incubator will vary depending upon the height at which the reading is taken.

For essentially "pennies" and very little effort, you can convert to a "circulated-air incubator". There are several posts on this Forum describing installing computer fans.

[​IMG]

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by