Still air incubator temp

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by emsevers, Apr 11, 2009.

1. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I have my incubator running and I can't seem to get the temp stable. I have it in my bedroom which stays pretty dark and doesn't get much use in the day. The temp stays fairly stable, it gets a little cooler at night. It's an LG still air with turner. I've been able to keep it between 99.5 and 102. I know with still airs it's supposed to be more around 101 to 102. Will this be ok or do I need to mess with it more. I've been doing this for 2 days now and can't figure it out.

2. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Mine is doing the same as yours....I am having a hard time keeping the temp at 101. The temp in the house is doing it I believe, it is in my room and my hubby flips on the ac everytime he walks in the room [​IMG]

Good Luck with yours [​IMG]

3. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    Thanks, I hope I can get it somewhat stable before I put my eggs in.

4. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Your temp range is just fine. At 99.5 it might take a day or two more for them to hatch but it'll be ok. The humidity is important too - be sure you are monitoring that.

5. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    It helps to block off heating/ac vents and close the door in order to stabilize room temp. Also don't run a ceiling fan.

I borrowed an LG from a friend to hatch eggs in last year and that incubator would do sudden temp spikes or drops out of the blue for no apparent reason. If varying temps remain a problem you might need to replace the thermostat.

My LG still air with turner keeps the temp on 100 always. I just turned on the second LG I just bought to use as the hatcher. It should be good to go by Monday in time to move the first batch of eggs for hatching.

6. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I know 102 is prescribed for still air's since there is "temperature layering" inside the incubator.

I've put my glass thermometer on a 1x2 block of wood that is almost level with the top of the eggs. I put the glass thermometer on the wood as I figured it wouldn't conduct heat like the metal zig-zag stands they come with.

With the thermometer on the block of wood, at egg level, its reading 100 to 100.5'. I am scared to raise it any more since I'm still a little "shell shocked" after the last two bad hatches, and the temperature spike prior to those.

If they are incubated precisely at 99.5 in a circulated cabinet incubator for 18 days, then moved to a still air at 100 to 100.5, will it effect the overall incubation period?

In other words will going from a 99.5 circulated air setting, to a 100.5 degree still air hatcher, cause them to hatch a day or two later?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by