1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Still air incubators,,,, 99.5 or 100.5??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by alaska-chick72, Nov 29, 2012.

1. alaska-chick72

alaska-chick72 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    interior Alaska
    So, I have been reading as much as I can on incubation and just today reading in some of the threads here saw that someone mentioned with a still air incubator the temp should be kept at 100.5 instead of 99.5 for duck eggs. Can someone please elaborate on this? I'm having a hard enough time finding the right spot in the house where the temp will stay constant.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Wow, I wish I could help, just wanted to say "hi," and I am fascinated that one degree is significant for hatching. I read some of the hatching questions because some day now that we just got our first drake, this information may be important to me.

Have you checked in at the thread Thread Formerly Known as Hatch Day is Today?

3. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Greene County, PA
    Yes, the still air incubator should be kept higher. Also make sure you keep water in the little reservoirs. The #1 thing is to make sure you turn the eggs 4-5 times a day. If you are not around to do this purchase the egg turner for the incubator. I have had very good results with these inexpensive incubators (about 80% on both duck and guinea eggs).

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Thanks, tomingreeneco!

5. alaska-chick72

alaska-chick72 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    interior Alaska
    I do appreciate the help,,,, thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by