Still Air or Forced Air bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mustangsaguaro, Mar 4, 2012.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    I currently have a Hovabator Forced Air incubator. I am planning on doing some staggered hatches this year so need a 2nd incubator to act as a hatcher. Would you use a Still air or forced air for the hatcher? And what are the advantages and disadvantages of both.

I am trying to find a used one (via auctions) of reasonable price online. But these auctions want anywhere between $15-$20 for shipping. Now I was able to find one at our local Tractor Supply. It is a Little Giant Still Air for $42.99. This is the cheapest I have found so far.

Thanks

2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    You can add a PC fan ripped from an old computer, and an old 6v adapter cord if you buy a still air. I think the fan feature is a bit expensive for the LG but it does have it's benefits. The air moves around more efficiently keeping an even temperature and the chicks dry faster. I often hear comments that the LG works better with a fan. So I added one to mine.

I usually use my homemade incubator for hatching. Have you considered making one? The cost of making one varies, depending on the supplies you already have.

THis page may help you with using the LG. CHooksCHicks uses an incubator and a hatcher, both are LG's.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubation-cheat-sheet

3. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Well, I found someone that is willing to do a trade w/ me. She has a Brower incubator. It is a round circular metal incubator. I'm so used to the styrofoam I don't know how this would compare to the styrofoam. I would definately do a test hatch batch in it. But in the long run I would probably use my hovabator for the first 17 days so I don't have to hand turn. And then use this one (the Brower) as the hatcher.You get spoiled w/ the automatic turner.

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Good luck. Yup I imagine a turner is required once you have experienced the use of one. Hence I hand turn still.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by