Still air or forced air incubator for duck eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by farmdude, Apr 7, 2011.

1. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Does anyone recommend one type over another for duck eggs? I have both types and just got some eggs to hatch.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It can also depend alot on the type of incubator- the size and the number of eggs you set- and where in the incubator you set them. A fan is good to circulate air in a larger model with lots of eggs- but a still air can be just as good for a smaller number of egs placed in the centre- away from where colder pockets can happen.

3. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I have 6 in a still air type, all 6 developing.

4. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    Quote:x2 if you have a few put towards center for better results,but if you want to fill it you can get even better results with still air. also with still air it is best to rotate eggs in to diffeffent row as you turn them. to help with hot and cold spots.

5. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Now aside from the number of eggs as others have already covered it.
    I would use a forced air during incubation, because they tend to keep the temperature more even within the machine. For hatching I would recommend not to have a fan running. It tends to try out the membranes once piped and can cause shrink wrapping. So you are good with having both machines, because now you can use one as a hatcher.

6. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    The Duck ABC's :

Now aside from the number of eggs as others have already covered it.
    I would use a forced air during incubation, because they tend to keep the temperature more even within the machine. For hatching I would recommend not to have a fan running. It tends to try out the membranes once piped and can cause shrink wrapping. So you are good with having both machines, because now you can use one as a hatcher.

Excellent points from everyone. Thank you! I have a small styrafoam incubator that holds 48 eggs. I have 24 eggs set on the auto egg turner in every other tray.
    I will used forced air for incubating, still air for hatching.​

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by