still air vs. forced air

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kandersn3, Feb 18, 2013.

1. kandersn3

kandersn3 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2013
    Waynesboro, PA
    What type of incubator do you use and why do you prefer it?

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I use a forced air. Had a still air and noticed cold spots in it.

In reality I have the one now only because it was a great deal and wanted a large picture window for the kids to watch the hatches.

3. kandersn3

kandersn3 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2013
    Waynesboro, PA
    what type of incubator is it. I ordered a still air but really want to know the best for my little Doodles. :)

4. cwalsh2

cwalsh2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Hermosa South Dakota
    Even with my circulated hovabator, when I got a digital thermometer with a probe on a wire, I found cold spots and warmer above the eggs than below. Part is because i keep it cool in my house( heat bills still high). I put a planters pride seed germination heat matt under the incubator, and now it is very uniform, top to bottom and only slight diff in the corners. They are for keeping seed trays 10-20 degrees warmer for faster seed germination. My hatch rates have went way up. Now there is 3 things to plug in. Incubator, Turner,Matt.

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I have the circulated Hovabator, picture window model 1583. The hovabator still air model 1602 is the most popular inexpensive incubator out there. It's due to the wafer thermostat, they are user friendly with temperature adjustments as a full 360 degree turn changes only 2 degrees. The only thing to remember is to incubate at higher temp in a still air. 101-102F measured at top of eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by