Still-Air VS Thermal Flow Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Orpstralope, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Orpstralope

Orpstralope XL College Raised Eggs

Oct 11, 2009
    Boone
    I'm looking at purchasing an incubator and am planning on hatching around 20 eggs each round inside it. Are Hova'Bator's a good brand? Also would I rather have still air or thermal flow? Thanks

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Thermal air flow is the same as still air--they just came up with a fancy name for it. I think you'd be better off with a circulated air. I have two Hovabators. One I got at a yard sale was thermal/still air and hubby added a fan to it. It'll increase the likelihood you'll have a good hatch.

3. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Go for the circulated air if you can't get any other bells and whistles, for sure.

4. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    The Hovabators tend to get less negative user reviews than other brands of styrofoam incubators.

The incubators with fans are also called "forced air incubators". It appears that the fans keep temperatures constant through out the incubator rather than hot/cold spots forming.

Best wishes,
    Ed

5. Orpstralope

Orpstralope XL College Raised Eggs

Oct 11, 2009
    Boone
    Sweet - that's great info. Now what other bells and whistles can I get for a decent price? How are the egg turners?

6. Painted Spirit

Painted Spirit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    I have a Hova Bator that I've used for 3 hatches and bought a Little Giant as an extra - I took the LG back the day I opened it and compared it to the Hova. Hova has a nice plastic tray at the bottom for easier clean up and also holds way more water for bringing up humidity when needed. Lg also has their ventilation holes at the very bottom so chick messes will fall thru, Hova has them on the sides. I added a fan, for me a turner was a must as I'm too absent minded to remember to hand turn them LOL!

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I like the turner, but it does turn very slowly, maybe 4 sweeps every 24 hours. You must be sure the little arm is on the motor, that's the main thing. It could get bumped off and you may not even notice till days later when it's in the same position. I don't want to have to turn them by hand and open the bator every few hours, so I love having the turner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by