Still anxious and nervous to introduce the different girls....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by truebluexf, May 15, 2011.

1. truebluexf

truebluexf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    We have 3 who are about 7-8 weeks, and 2 who are now 4 weeks. It blows my mind how different they are in size! It's like the older ones swallowed themselves in the past 2 weeks, I just can't believe how fast they grow. Our little ones should be fully feathered in a week or two, but I'm scared to put them with the bigger chicks! They are monsters in comparison! Is it really going to be ok?[​IMG]

2. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    I think the age difference is not that great and that the integration will most likely not be that bad. Just make sure there are places for the younger ones to run and hide into, and that there is plenty of room for them to run in.

3. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    ditto on the room to run.

The younger ones will know as soon as they see the older ones not to mess with them. The older ones will want to establish the pecking order and the younger ones will run away. If they dont have room to get away... well, that's when they get in trouble.

4. truebluexf

Apr 26, 2011
    Hmmm ok...so what do they need? A little shelter only they can fit into?

I'm still just flabbergasted at the size difference of 3-4 weeks, lol! We bring them outside to play around the run now, so the older chicks will be used to seeing them. I'm thinking of putting a divider in the run for a few days too so they can be close all day for a few days first, does that sound right? At least they can't get completely pecked at that way? Our ring leader is the biggest of the older chicks atm, and arguably the smartest one as well lol! She is the one who always tries to escape.

5. truebluexf

Apr 26, 2011
    I have them outside now with some plastic netting between them, and all seems well. [​IMG] Should I join them today, or give them more days of observation? They have also seen them be outside the coup here and there over the past several days.

6. truebluexf

Apr 26, 2011
    One more question...based on their appearance on my byc page (bottom photo now), are they ready to go outside altogether? They have not been under a lamp, but it stays above 70 in our garage now at night. Nights here are now no lower than 60. I would love love love to get them out of my garage and all in one place! [​IMG]

7. KaneMoa

KaneMoa Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    I would go ahead and let em be together. They are all young and it should be okay. I totally agree on room to hide and run away. I also put waterers in odd spots so the little ones can drink without harassment and I add temporary plastic feeders that hang from the cage, so they can eat. It helps, because the big hens will run them away from the feeders or peck them. If that starts I always pick up and hold the offender and let all the hens see me holding her. After a few minutes I set her down across the coop and it seems to mellow the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by