STILL BALL IN CROP

ChickChick2121

Songster
Aug 15, 2021
I've had my chicken separated for 5 days. Had baseball sized crop. Gave just water & egg/olive oil and crop massages. Now down to a hard ball the size of a quarter and is pooping. For 2 days have apple cider vinegar water to flush. Still has very hard quarter sized ball in morning before food. Still eating, very hungry, seems like old self. What should I do?

Is she free range or confined? This may give us a clue on what the ball could be, some foreign inedible object, tumor, or something else.
Contained in run and coop. No free ranging. She is less than a year old. Just started laying in July. Feed is organic layer pellets. I thought the problem was the long grass that the kids were feeding her. But with the way it feels now it's more like a really hard quarter sized pellet. Which is good after the baseball it was. I gave her coconut oil chunks (2 tsp) and a massage earlier today. Then tonight mashed scrambled egg with 2 tsp c.oil. and some water mixed in to give her some hydration. And another massage. Feels less hard. She was also drinking a lot before bed so that's encouraging. I read somewhere that if she's had too much sand it may compact and harden. The run is dirt with hay over top. And partial sand with hay on top. I just bought some granite grit and crushed oyster shell to put in the run tomorrow in wall containers. I thought the sand would be enough from what I had read but maybe not?

I would continue with olive oil massages until it fully empties. Egg yolk is good, natural yogurt at bedtime is best. It will do its job throughout the night and clear the gut.

I've had my chicken separated for 5 days. Had baseball sized crop. Gave just water & egg/olive oil and crop massages. Now down to a hard ball the size of a quarter and is pooping. For 2 days have apple cider vinegar water to flush. Still has very hard quarter sized ball in morning before food. Still eating, very hungry, seems like old self. What should I do?
Did you read the recommended article in your other thread. Very good info from Carol...she wrote the article. I've used it several times to treat my bird with success...May want to re-read it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/drool-and-head-tossing.1490179/

Back
Top Bottom