Still Can't Get My Chix To Use The Ladder!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blueheaven, May 19, 2009.

1. blueheaven

blueheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    HELP!
    my chix are 4+ weeks and i let them out of their coop, but sometimes it is a little windy and want them to be able to go back in the coop if they want...but they will not use the ladder.

i have tried treats and even placing them on the ladder to hop in the coop...no luck!

any ideas?

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Any chance you can post a pic of the ladder? There might be something that's scaring them, but I can't tell without great detail or a pic.

3. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    Mine would not use the ladder at that age either. We just kept putting them in through that opening and making them come out that way. After a week or so they got "brave" and started using it! Good luck!

4. blueheaven

blueheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    i will get a photo.
    they will do down to the first cross bar and then fly the rest of the way to the ground.

it is just like any other chicken ladder...a 1x12 about 4 ft long and small cross bars about 8 inches apart.

5. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Mine are doing the same... its almost like something isnt connecting with them we just push them up and push them dont (lightly of course) quite seem to get it still!

6. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Are the crossbars too far apart?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by