Still can't get my Silkies to go inside!!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Attila, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Attila

Attila Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2012
    Douglas, MA
    Well it has been about a month now and I can't get my Silkies to go in the coop. Every night for the past month we go out there and the three of them are bunched up on top of a cinder block. We pick them up, put them at the end of the ramp and they march right up and in. I put a lamp in there for a week straight and it did nothing to entice them to go in on there own. I have 9 other hens that march right up at dusk. I don't get it!!!

Now we are at the point where my 9 other hens are starting to lay. They go into the nesting boxes inside the coop and do their business. I was thinking of locking the silkies in the coop for a week or so to see if that helps, but I don't want the others to start laying in the run and not the nesting boxes.

I really want to get an automatic door opener. I am almost at the point where I am just going to leave them outside and not worry about and hope they get it.

What else can I do??????

2. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    Well. I am having a similar problem with 4 new hens who are being chased out of the coop where they would like to be. So they end up on top of the sleeping box and I have to wait until it is darker and put them in. So much of the process of introducing these newcomers has taken a much longer time than is suggested on other posts. I have decided I will give them all as much time as they need. After all, we are not on some timetable other than I want them all in the box safe so I can close it up when it gets cold.
    So, bottom line, I would just keep putting them in there until everyone gets the idea. It will happen eventually.

3. Attila

Apr 30, 2012
    Douglas, MA
    Thanks!

I like the screen name!

4. Attila

Apr 30, 2012
    Douglas, MA
    I'm thinking about moving the feeder and waterer inside to get them used to going in on there own. I figure if they are hungry and thirsty they will go in to drink and eat.
    Any thoughts???

5. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Take out the cinder block. At least in the evenings. My chickens started to roost at night in the run. So we took that roost down. They were upset for a little while but they now go into the coop at night. I wouldn't put their feed inside. The mess will draw bugs. You can try giving them a treat in the coop. Good luck.Chickens can be very stubborn.

6. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    Have just returned to this thread. Yes--we have good screen names. Could we be related?
    My pullets started to go into the sleeping box at night but the big girls still chase them out so I have to go in and put them in after dark.
    Any luck with yours yet? Did removing the cinder block solve it?

7. Attila

Apr 30, 2012
    Douglas, MA
    I did remove the block and found them huddled up where the block was was for a couple of nights.
    Picked them up, put them at the end of the ramp and they walk right in again.
    Two days ago my white and beige ones went in all by themselves but the black one stayed out.
    Yesterday the black and beige one went in, but the white one stayed out.
    For some reason and I don't know how it happens the white one get her leg stuck behind her wing! Then she can't walk or
    move. It's the craziest thing. Well last night when we came home the white one was on the ground with her leg stuck
    behind her wing. If that didn't happen I think all three would have been in.
    It's a work in progress! I definitely think removing the block helped!
    Thanks for the suggestion JanetS !!

8. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    How old are they? I found that my two hens wouldn't move around a lot. Then my husband made the suggestion of trimming the feathers are their eyes. Now, they are a lot more mobile. The follow the rooster everywhere. Might want to look into how good their visual is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by