1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Still chicken, not eating but drinking. White watery poop containing dark bits

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chucklings, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Chucklings

Chucklings Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2013
    Hello. I have a Coral chicken who is 3 years old and has fallen ill 2 days ago but has reached majorly critical now... She is usually the most feisty chicken of the 6 but now just sleeps and can hardly keep her eyes open or get up. She is not eating though I have tried giving her her favourite layers mash and some yogurt which I heard is good for them. She has got cider vinegar in her water which she is drinking quite a bit of. She has really watery white poo which has dark watery bits in too. She has not layed an egg in 2 days either and is usually a daily layer, however as of late her eggs keep cracking in the nest box as the shell is too weak and getting trampled on. Shes such a lovely bird and I cannot think of what else to do for her... Any help would be SO appreciated.
    Thanks

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  2. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    How is her crop?? flat or distended??

3. AZBootsie

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Have you checked for parasites?? Not to pester you... just brainstorming.

4. AZBootsie

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
  5. Chucklings

Aug 15, 2013
    Thanks for your reply. She has worms in her poo about a month ago as did a few others, but we wormed them and it all seemed to have cleared up. The cider vinegar was to help prevent it. I dont think the poop little girls going to last much longer, shes getting worse and can hardly keep her head up :(

6. Chucklings

Aug 15, 2013
    poor* even. oh dear, unfortunate typo!

7. Chucklings

Aug 15, 2013
    HerShe has a very large crop which has completely wilted and gone a darker shade.

8. Chucklings

Aug 15, 2013
    OH, my apologies. Her comb has wilted and her crop is flat as she has eaten nothing. I wondered whether it was an impacted crop but as she has no enlarged crop does that eliminate that

9. AZBootsie

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    I am sorry she is doing so poorly, Wish I could think of something to help.

10. Chucklings

Aug 15, 2013
    Thanks so much. I wish I could too :( I just hope the other 5 remain ok and have not been infected (Luna the chicken was with them for her first day of illness). I think some anti-bacterial cleaning is in order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by